View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2014, 8:17 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
This is speculation, but maybe he was worried about facing Harry with his condition? The book makes it seem as if Dumbledore had to drag him in to teach, and he nearly left his wife and unborn child because he thought they'd be better off without him. He could be afraid of hurting Harry, or afraid that Harry would find out he was a werewolf and think less of his parents for having a werewolf friend.
I think over the years the prejudices against him so wore him out that later on Remus Lupin was a shell of self pity and wrong loyalties and priorities. He became a sad man, who struggled with himself and lost quite a few battles.

From the time he was a student, when he was glad to be one of the "wizards" rather than just a werewolf who was considered a dark creature, Remus I think was slowly crumbling with the mighty weight of that burden every time he transformed, which set him apart from the other witches and wizards in a most fearful manner, and by the time the Potters died he was almost crushed by that fact IMO.

Remus kept silent on Sirius's Animagus form, even after Sirius had broken into Gryffindor Tower. That act alone I think showed that Remus was lost somewhere within himself. He had I think by that time stopped thinking about others and was so steeped in self pity that all he could think was that if Dumbledore knew he would be disappointed in him, Remus, and so he kept silent. I presume that he had by that time so little that he could not bear to lose the rest - Dumbledore's disapproval would have done that.

But what Remus did not understand, what he did not have the courage to face was his own actions or the lack of it (especially with regards to Harry). He did not realise that there was something bigger happening out there; that there was a murderer out there targeting a small boy; that he had got into Gryffindor Tower once already with a knife in hand and by his silence Remus did not realise it, but he had already lost the war with himself IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
@TGW - I don't understand your "mild to indifferent inaction" comment, which I think referred to Lupin's year on staff. I think that Lupin was pretty involved with Harry during his year on staff at Hogwarts, to the point of personally instructing Harry in how to cast a Patronus.
IIRC Harry and Remus started lessons in the new year of third year, and yes, while I agree they had special classes where Remus taught Harry the Patronus Charm, I think it was a rather callous moment, when Remus kept his silence, after Harry cried, the first time he heard James.

Lupin in the passage below to me, seems rather urgent in his mannerisms to stop Harry from talking about James. He couldn't stop wondering whether Harry heard James, but when Harry asks him whether he knew his father, Lupin says yes, but then he hurries through to Harry, diverting him from James by telling him to actually stop coming for the lessons. He seemed so uncomfortable to me.

I felt that while they did have lessons, where Lupin taught him the Patronus Charm, he never volunteered anything to Harry about his parents.

Lupin was tapping Harry hard on the face. This time it was a minute before Harry understood why he was lying on on a dusty classroom floor.

"I heard my dad,' Harry mumbled."That's the first time I've ever heard him - he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it -"

harry suddenly realised that there was tears on his face mingling with the sweat. he bent his face low as possible, pretending to do up his shoelace, so that Lupin wouldn't see.

"You heard James?" asked Lupin in a strange voice.

"Yeah ...,"Face dry Harry looked up. "Why - you didn't know my dad, did you?"

"I - I did as a matter of fact," said Lupin. "We were friends at Hogwarts. Listen Harry - perhaps we should leave it here for tonight. This charm is ridiculously advanced ...I shouldn't have suggested putting you through this..."

"No," said Harry. He got up again. "I'll have one more go! I'm not thinking about happy enough things, that's what it is ...

POA - The Patronus

Quote:
Here's my speculation for Lupin's absence during the 10 years before Harry came to Hogwarts... Harry was living with the Muggles, for his own protection no less. I don't think Dumbledore would have welcomed any Wizarding interference in Harry's life during those years, and I know for certain that the Dursleys would not. It's not really in Lupin's character to force himself in to situations where he's not wanted - particularly if his participation were not wanted by Dumbledore.
This could be the way it was, I wish we had something in canon to this effect. While this explains the 10 years before Hogwarts, Lupin makes no effort to seek Harry out in his first two years and even in year three, there is not much interaction until the end, and it was because of Sirius, rather than Remus I felt.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links