View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

I have a question that's been buzzing around in my head since posting on the Pettigrew thread a few days ago (well, several questions, actually):

There only seem to be three students that Severus really seemed to single out for "attention," Harry, Hermione, and Neville.

We know why he bullied Harry -- because he physically looked like James and Severus couldn't put that past behind him and see Harry as a separate person (IMO). But, I keep wondering, why Neville and Hermione?

While posting on the Pettigrew thread we were discussing some parallels and differences in Wormtail and Neville. I've been wondering since then: Did Neville remind Severus of a young Pettigrew? Was Peter the same clumsy, inept student in his first year(s) at Hogwarts, until the Marauders took him under their wings and started tutoring him? Was Severus lashing out at Neville because of this reminder, or was he trying to "toughen him up" so that he wouldn't repeat Pettigrew's mistakes of blindly following someone he thought could protect him?

As for Hermione, she was brilliant. But she was "book smart" and afraid to take chances. Did Severus see in her the potential to be really good if she'd stop being an "insufferable know-it-all" and expand on her book knowledge -- relaxing her tendency to strictly adhere to that knowledge? Did he see a bit of himself in her, and recognizing her abilities, want her to be writing notes in the margins of her own Potions book rather than just following it along?

In CoS, he had to know that someone was mixing polyjuice potion, the stuff was missing and someone had to be using it. Did he suspect Hermione, and the reason he never confronted her or any of the trio was that he was glad to see her putting her talents to use? I'm sure he mixed the potion to change her back from part cat and there were no repercussions from that. I wonder if he just shut up about it and was pleased that she had tried something "out of bounds"?

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Sponsored Links