View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I would respectfully disagree on this. I feel Lily may well have been giving her long-term friend the benefit of the doubt, by extending more of a hand of loyality and trust to him, than the other friends negative comments whom she was excusing his behaviour too. If they had any early objections to him, they might have been along the lines of him looking weird, a loner, or simply being Slytherin, the latter we see from Harry's generation how at odds the Houses are. Lily accepts him despite those things so she may have dismissed any comments/objections, even as they grew and doubt started to creep in. It wasn't until directly faced with being called a Mudblood herself, it hit her very hard what her friend was becoming and the change he was undergoing. Imo.
Exactly the way I read it the first time, the way I see it still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I don't think Snape ever took Lily for granted. I think he loved her too much and respected her a lot to do that.
Such an intense guy, our Snape.

No, I don't think he took her for granted either, especially as he was terrified of losing her to people he disliked, (the Marauders), but I have to say that I don't regard expressing his ancient hatred of Lily's husband to Lily's son as at all appropriate, and I don't think that showed much respect for Lily's memory.

I'm not saying I think Snape was glad James was dead but speaking like that about James to Lily's son? -- that really wasn't on. If he was worried about Harry turning out like James, that was the wrong way to go about it. But that's a discussion for Snape's own thread, not here.