View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:36 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
What about Lily's humiliation in this situation? She was in no way obliged to accept the apology, what he had said was accurately described as "unforgivable" by Harry. Why would she want to be friends with someone who saw her in that way, and made an exception for her because she was Lily, because she was powerful, because he loved her?
Of course she was at liberty to break off, if she wanted to.

---to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different? - DH - TPT

She says Why should I be any different? And yet strangely, she was, both to Snape and herself. Snape never apologised for calling other muggleborns by the same name; Snape came to apologise to her. From her side, she never stopped him from calling other Muggleborns as Mudblood, but she did find it offencive when he called her one.

Quote:
And more mature than Snape for that matter, as he didn't show any sign of understanding just how humiliating that must have been for Lily - the friend she'd stood by and stood up for turning the most vile word in the wizarding world on her?
I disagree. I think it was because Snape knew how wrong he had been that he came to stay the night if necessary to apologise to Lily.

Quote:
I think the meaning behind that word is often overlooked in analysis of SWM. It is the most foul, demeaning word in the wizarding world, according to several sources. It implies the person it's directed at is inferior because of their birth. I think Lily had every reason not to want to be friends with someone who embraced that ideology and I don't see any evidence that she was looking for an excuse to end the friendship.
Have answered it below. (in Annie's post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar83 View Post
Maybe calling her mudblood made her realize that she shouldn't take that kind of disrespect from him anymore. Shouldn't we be glad that finally left?
I may have understood your post wrongly, but I feel this implies that Snape had been disrespecting her all the time and she had been taking it until he said Mudblood. I disagree. I don't think Snape disrespected Lily at all, except for that one time, for which there is no justification, but something which I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I would respectfully disagree on this. I feel Lily may well have been giving her long-term friend the benefit of the doubt, by extending more of a hand of loyality and trust to him, than the other friends negative comments whom she was excusing his behaviour too.
The question which arises for me is that if Lily thought the word Mudblood an unforgivable word, then was it not so, when her best friend called others by that name, when he was neither humiliated or furious.

If it was, then did not Lily give a warning to Snape about its use and demand he stop uttering it completely. If she did and then in his anger the word slipped out, I think Lily's contempt and anger is well justified.

If on the other hand, Lily never minded (I think she overlooked it, thinking it was a swear word Snape used; she makes no comment about Snape using racial words in any memory except the break up scene) Snape using such words against other Muggleborns and still found it unforgivable when it was used on her, then I wonder if Lily was angry because Snape used a swear word against her or because the swear word itself was unforgivable.

If it was the former, I can understand it better, for the indignation/anger is about the fact Snape got angry enough to swear at her and for Lily that was unacceptable from a person she thought was her friend.

If was because of what the word meant and why it should not be used at all, then to me that raises the question, why was it not taken up as an issue all these days/years as the case may have been. JMHO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links