View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2008, 5:34 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I completely empathise with that, since I greatly prize family too. And the destruction of even one family is unbearable for me to contemplate.

I agree that this is a side of Snape I find problematic, including his refusal to forgive James, even when his actions indirectly led to James being killed (of course Voldemort and Peter were even more culpable).
Well Snape hating James and Harry isn't a problem for me. You know, I can't tell a person (or character in this case) who to like and dislike. I think jealousy is the emotion Snape needed to overcome in this situation - that was what was the crux of his problem to me. So I am not sure what you mean by "forgive James" - forgive him for marrying Lily? For childhood behavior? I don't see that as a forgiveness issue, but one of letting go of the past like most people do when they mature.

I don't even see it in this case as forgiving someone in your heart - because forgiveness is for wrongs and James marrying Lily was not wrong - that is what Snape needed to see. Not to think it wrong and then forgive it, imo. And childhood behavior - something no one apologizes for normally (including Snape, specifically) - cannot be construed as a wrong in the same sense either, imo, because if Snape didn't go around apologizing for everything he'd done wrong to others as a child, he could hardly expect others to do so. So the wrongness there it is expected by reasonable people to be something one lets go of rather than forgiving in the traditional sense, imo, as children are given some leeway in this regard. As Snape apparently forgave Lily for any perceived wrongs she may have ever done (and because she was not perfect, she must have done at least one) - I assume he believed in this reasonable idea as well, but merely did not extend it to the Marauders. But I don't see it as a forgiveness issue at all and even if other in-book characters saw it that way, they were wrong in my judgment.

Quote:
I disagree with this. Very often we do see Snape suffering from self-inflicted misery but certainly not in every single instance.
For example?

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I don't know what the guy could do, really, to prove that he is in 'double' rather than 'mere' agony.
Because he couldn't care less that James was dead or that Harry survived - but was left an orphan. His agony was incomplete for the devastation he'd help to cause for this family. That is what I was trying to say.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 21st, 2008 at 5:40 pm.
Sponsored Links