View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2008, 3:42 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
My own interpretation is what Snape didn't know about the Elder Wand (Albus keeps that secret, based on my reading of canon) and that Voldemort's revelation about the wand comes as a complete and utter shock to him.
I am still leaning toward this belief too - I mean why wouldn't JKR tell us if Dumbledore told him? Why keep it a mystery? But I am remaining open minded about it, there are a lot of good arguments the other way.

Quote:
Er, why? (My favourite detestables are Umbridge and Peter. Voldemort is too one-dimensional as a villain but Umbridge is really, REALLY nasty.)

I am open to other interpretations but I would just like to know why Snape's knowing about Albus's ultimate plan (personally, I don't see how he could have done, since we don't see Albus telling him) would make him 'detestable'.
Well this is a very personal opinion, so I would not think anyone would agree with me. My impression, as I stated above, was that Snape ruined the lives of many (permanently or temporarily), including his own. In the wake of that, he had nothing whatsoever to redeem himself on as written in canon, because his acts, every single one of them, were tainted by self interest (shown either by his words or behavior or subsequent behavior). And JKR wrote in not one bit of legitimate payback for Snape; it was as if he was free from the consequences of his abominable behavior.

So we get to the end of his life and finally, he is written to show that when he is legitimately treated in a despicable manner (much like he's been treating everyone else), he finally does not get vindictive, but rather accepts it as his lot - or his due - which for me saved him from becoming the most detestable character in canon (a man who did real harm to many others and in return received only "perceived" payback).

*example of perceived payback for clarity: Snape hands over the prophecy eager to help Voldemort kill some baby to stay in power. Turns out to indicate Lily, who Snape loves and she is killed. This could be perceived as a "payback" for what he has done and Snape is so overwrought and filled with remorse he wants to die - so he truly is suffering. But I have absolutely no sympathy for Snape here, none at all. I do not see this as payback in any sense of the word. I find all the pain and suffering he feels to be completely shallow and selfish - and his remorse entirely hallow. It is like the greatest farce to me and I despise the character for it on a deeply personal level. But keep in mind I have an extreme amount of reverence and respect for "family" - and Snape destroyed one in this instance and has not a smidgeon of thought space for that - let alone remorse, respect, etc. - and he never changes in this regard, imo, shown by the ripping of the photo late in life.

Quote:
The fact that he appeared to have been duped (by Albus) is the thing that makes him selfless?
No, his reaction/response to finding out he'd been duped is the thing that makes him act in a manner I felt was close to selfless.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 21st, 2008 at 4:15 pm.
Sponsored Links