View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:55 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Not when he was a kid, though. He was set on becoming a Death Eater and nothing anyone said to him could change that. Even as an adult, he never considered giving Harry a chance. He was determined to hate him from the second they met.
I agree. I don't think that these types of tests work with fictional characteres because the author may not be that personality type and rather than truly trying to stick to a 'model' type person, s/he creates the character to fit what is needed in the story at any particular time. So I believe you often see divergences for this reason.

Snape didn't show a predilection for keeping his options open and trying different views, in my judgment. He seemed very set in his views and ways, and only changed once when and if a tumultuous and personal event befell him. I would agree he was bitter and mororse, his disposition generally sour; but he could turn that off if he wanted - for example when dealing with his Slytherin students; the Minister of Magic and at times, Dumbledore. But in that way I felt he was singularly minded in his selectivity.

I think when young, Snape had the same singular selection; reserveing his less than sour disposition for his Slytherin mates and for Lily until their friendship ended. However, I think he was sour with the rest of the student body and it was that together with his dark arts interests and acts, which made him unpopular among the students.

We didn't see Snape as a death eater, but I would imagine that he would have been popular within that crowd. However, at his turn, he seemed to isolate himself and withdraw, only interacting with others infrequently; perhaps a few words at a meal or with respect to work with his peers and in the classroom with his students. I would imagine that he was a little more accessible to his Slytherin students, but even then, I doubt that he established very warm relationships with any of them - but to be fair, I am not sure any of the heads of houses did much of that sort of thing in general.