View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2007, 7:32 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: Frequently Asked Harry Potter Questions

MISCALLANEOUS

Is Jo crafty - deliberately giving us misleading answers?:    

The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three, 16 July 2005JKR: I've never, to my knowledge, lied when posed a question about the books. To my knowledge. You can imagine, I've now been asked hundreds of questions; it's perfectly possible at some point I misspoke or I gave a misleading answer unintentionally, or I may have answered truthfully at the time and then changed my mind in a subsequent book. That makes me cagey about answering some questions in too much detail because I have to have some leeway to get there and do it my way, but never on a major plot point.

Link

Godric's Hollow - street, house or?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQGodric’s Hollow: street, house, tree…? [Mugglenet/Lexicon question - also asked a lot in fan mail]

Godric’s Hollow is a village.

Link

Why are the Weasleys poor? Can't they just conjure what they need?:    

World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling, 8 July 2000Q: It seems that the wizards and witches at Hogwarts are able to conjure up many things, such as food for the feasts, chairs and sleeping bags. . .if this is so, why does the wizarding world need money ? What are the limitations on the material objects you can conjure up ? It seems unnecessary that the Weasleys would be in such need of money. . . (Jan Campbell)
A: Very good question (well done, Jan!!). There is legislation about what you can conjure and what you can't. Something that you conjure out of thin air will not last. This is a rule I set down for myself early on. I love these logical questions!

Link

Why can't criminals be tracked by sending them an owl and following it?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQIn 'Prisoner of Azkaban', why couldn't the Ministry of Magic have sent Sirius an owl, and then followed it, to find him?

Just as wizards can make buildings unplottable, they can also make themselves untraceable. Voldemort would have been found long ago if it had been as simple as sending him an owl!

Link

How did Fred and George know the outcome of the World Cup?:    

The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three,16 July 2005ES: How on earth did Fred and George know that Ireland would win and Bulgaria would get the Snitch?

JKR: Well, I think that if you were really into Quidditch you could have predicted that. What they had -

ES: But how can you predict that, because you don't know when the Snitch is going to show up.

JKR: It was a risk. They risked everything on it. That is Fred and George, isn't it? They are the risk-takers in the family. You've got Percy at one end of the family — conform, do everything correctly — and you've got Fred and George, who just take a totally different life path and were prepared to risk everything. They risked all they had, which is as much as anyone can do.

Link

Wotcher - what does it mean?:    

Concise Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary, tenth revised edition 2002Wotcha (also wotcher) Brit. informal used as a friendly or humorous greeting.
- ORIGIN C19: corruption of what cheer?

Last edited by Alastor; April 25th, 2007 at 4:49 am.
Sponsored Links