View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2007, 5:59 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: Frequently Asked Harry Potter Questions

HOGWARTS

Can prefects dock points?:    

They can, but not from other prefects. The confusing part of OotP, chapter 28 has been changed in the paperback editions.
JKR's website, Section FAQCan prefects take points or not? A prefect took points from Gryffindor in the Chamber of Secrets, and then there was a reference to prefects not being allowed to dock points. What are the rules?

Ron got it wrong in 'Phoenix', from which we deduce that he hasn't been a very authoritarian prefect thus far; he clearly hasn't been taking points from anybody.

Link

Heads of Houses and House Ghosts - were they in the same house as students?:    

Yes.
JKR's website, Section FAQIf a teacher is head of a house, can we assume that they were sorted into those houses when they were students at Hogwarts? Is that also true for the house ghosts? So was Snape a Slytherin?

A Mugglenet/Harry Potter Lexicon Open Letter Question (I can't promise I'll answer them all, but I'll try and work through them). Yes, if the teacher is Head of House you can indeed assume that they were pupils within that house. So Snape was very definitely a Slytherin and yes, the same is true of the house ghosts.

Link

Head Boy/Girl at Hogwarts - can you become one without being prefect first?:    

Yes. James Potter was Head Boy while Remus Lupin was prefect.
PS/SS, chapter 4'Now, yer mum an' dad were as good a witch an' wizard as I never knew. Head Boy an' Girl at Hogwarts in their day!'

OotP, chapter 9Sirius, who was right beside Harry, let out his usual bark-like laugh.
'No one would have made me a prefect, I spent too much time in detention with James. Lupin was the good boy, he got the badge.'
-------
Harry's mood suddenly lifted. His father had not been prefect either.

Do all magical people in Britain study at Hogwarts?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQDo all young people in Britain's Wizarding World go to Hogwarts? For example, did Stan Shunpike attend Hogwarts? Or is Hogwarts a school just for those who are particularly good at magic while others go into trades without formal schooling? [Mugglenet/Lexicon question]

Everyone who shows magical ability before their eleventh birthday will automatically gain a place at Hogwarts; there is no question of not being ‘magical enough’; you are either magical or you are not. There is no obligation to take up the place, however; a family might not want their child to attend Hogwarts.

Link

How are muggle parents convinced to let their kids go to Hogwarts?:    

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004HPFreak7: How are muggle parents convinced to let their kids go to Hogwarts, a strange place they never heard of before; and wouldn't they think it was a practical joke?
JK Rowling replies -> In the case of Muggle parents, special messengers are sent to explain everything to them. But don't forget that they will have noticed that there's something strange about their child for the previous ten years, so it won't come as a complete bolt from the blue.

Link

Where do wizarding children get their primary education?:    

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004kai: Where do wizarding children go to school before Hogwarts?
JK Rowling replies -> They can either go to a Muggle primary school or they are educated at home. The Weasleys were taught by Mrs. Weasley.

Link

Can muggles see Hogwarts?:    

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004Persia: If a muggle looks at Hogwarts what will they see? love Persia
JK Rowling replies -> Nice name, Persia. They will see nothing but a ruined castle with large signs on it saying 'keep out, dangerous building.'

Link

You can't apparate inside Hogwarts - why can Dobby do it?:    

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004Rorujin: How is Dobby able to apparate inside Hogwarts if no one else can?
JK Rowling replies -> He's a house-elf, they've got powers wizards haven't got (but wizards have also got powers that house-elves haven't).

Link
JKR's website, Section FAQYou say that people cannot Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts and yet Dobby manages it, why is this?
House-elves are different from wizards; they have their own brand of magic, and the ability to appear and disappear within the castle is necessary to them if they are to go about their work unseen, as house-elves traditionally do.

Link

Last edited by Alastor; May 18th, 2007 at 6:09 pm.
Sponsored Links