View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:50 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: Frequently Asked Harry Potter Questions

CHARACTERS

Petunia - the late bloomer? - a squib?:    

JKR's website, Section rumoursAunt Petunia will start exhibiting magical tendencies

No, she won't. Aunt Petunia has never performed magic, nor will she ever be able to do so.

Link
J K Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival,
Sunday, August 15, 2004.
Is Aunt Petunia a Squib?

Good question. No, she is not, but—[Laughter]. No, she is not a Squib. She is a Muggle, but—[Laughter]. You will have to read the other books. You might have got the impression that there is a little bit more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye, and you will find out what it is. She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet.

link

Aberforth = the Hogshead Barman?:    

J K Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival,
Sunday, August 15, 2004.
Why is the barman of the Hog’s Head vaguely familiar to Harry? Is he Dumbledore’s brother?

Ooh—you are getting good. Why do you think that it is Aberforth? [Audience member: Various clues. He smells of goats and he looks a bit like Dumbledore]. I was quite proud of that clue. That is all that I am going to say. [Laughter]. Well yes, obviously. I like the goat clue—I s******ed to myself about that one.

Link

Not everyone accepts "Well yes, obviously" as an answer, but here JKR quite clearly seems to agree with Emerson that it's an established fact:
The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three, 16 July 2005ES: What on earth was Aberforth Dumbledore doing with those goats?

[Big laughs from all]

JKR: Your guess is as good as mine! [Evil laugh!]

MA: Excellent. And Dumbledore makes a little joke about him in this one, about knowing people in bars.

JKR: Yes, absolutely. Yeah, that's right. And you of course see Aberforth very briefly.

Link

That the barman indeed was Aberforth Dumbledore is confimed in DH, chapter 28.

Mark Evans - what if any is the significance of him?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQ---------
Mark Evans is... nobody. He's nobody in the sense that Mr. Prentice, Madam Marsh and Gordon-Dudley's-gang-member are nobodies, just background people who need names, but who have no role other than the walk-on parts assigned to them.
--------

Complete reply

Hermione - her age?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQWhen Hermione arrived at Hogwarts, was she nearly eleven or nearly twelve? [also asked by vast numbers of people]
She was nearly twelve; you must be at least eleven to attend Hogwarts.

Link

Dumbledore - is he really dead?:    

Yes.
An Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp:Readings and questions #2JK Rowling: Well, Salman, your opinion, I would say is ... right. But I see that I need to be a little more explicit and say that Dumbledore is definitely ... dead (crowd gasps). And I do know - I do know that there is an entire website out there that says - that's name is DumbledoreIsNotDead.com so umm, I'd imagine they're not pretty happy right now (crowd laughs). But I think I need - you need - all of you need to move through the five stages of grief (crowd laughs), and I'm just helping you get past denial.

Link

Regulus Black - is he really dead?:    

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004* Cathedral: Will we be hearing anything from Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, in future books?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's dead, so he's pretty quiet these days.

Link

Lily and James - in which order should they have emerged from the wand?:    

JKR's website, Section FAQAt the end of 'Goblet of Fire', in which order should Harry's parents have come out of the wand?

Lily first, then James. That’s how it appears in my original manuscript but we were under enormous pressure to edit it very fast and my American editor thought that was the wrong way around, and he is so good at catching small errors I changed it without thinking, then realised it had been right in the first place. We were all very sleep-deprived at the time.

Link

Neville - What's the significance of him being the other boy of the prophecy?:    

JKR's official site, FAQ sectionWhat is the significance of Neville being the other boy to whom the prophecy might have referred?
[...]
So where does this leave Neville, the boy who was so nearly King? Well, it does not give him either hidden powers or a mysterious destiny. He remains a 'normal' wizarding boy, albeit one with a past, in its way, as tragic as Harry's. As you saw in 'Order of the Phoenix,' however, Neville is not without his own latent strengths. It remains to be seen how he will feel if he ever finds out how close he came to being the Chosen One.

Some of you, who have been convinced that the prophecy marked Neville, in some mystical fashion, for a fate intertwined with Harry's, may find this answer rather dull. Yet I was making what I felt was a significant point about Harry and Voldemort, and about prophecies themselves, in showing Neville as the also-ran. If neither boy was 'pre-ordained' before Voldemort's attack to become his possible vanquisher, then the prophecy (like the one the witches make to Macbeth, if anyone has read the play of the same name) becomes the catalyst for a situation that would never have occurred if it had not been made. Harry is propelled into a terrifying position he might never have sought, while Neville remains the tantalising 'might-have-been'. Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.

Link

Peeves - a ghost? or what?:    

JKR's website, section FAQPeeves chews gum, how can he when he is a ghost? (Nearly Headless Nick can't eat).

Peeves isn't a ghost; he was never a living person. He is an indestructible spirit of chaos, and solid enough to unscrew chandeliers, throw walking sticks and, yes, chew gum.

Link

Last edited by Alastor; January 19th, 2008 at 1:31 pm.
Sponsored Links