View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2008, 1:18 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Here is the complete quote:
OotP: The lost Prophecy"Ther is a room in the Departtment of Mysteries," interupted Dumbledore, "that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible thatn death, than human intelligence, than the fforces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects ffor study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all. That power took you to save Sirius tonight. That power also saved ytou from possesion by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."

Dumbledore is spelling it out - the power that Harry has that Voldemort hasn't is love. The intense grief he felt at Sirius's death was because he loved Sirius so much and it was this grief - this love that made it unbearable for Voldemort to possess him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittling
I thought the power he had that the dark lord knew not of was love. Just plain simple love. That s not to imply that love is nothing, or that it is not incredibly important; just that I wasn’t aware of it being anything else in addition to love.
Exactly! I can't remember where exactly but there was some point when Harry though" So I can love. Big Deal!"

So the way I see it Harry had no special magic powers - what set him apart was his ability to love - as demonstrated by his willingness to sacrifice himself in the forest, and his ability to forgive Snape and name his second son after him. That is why the name Albus Severus is to me anyway, so important, - becasue it is another demonstration of Harry's ability to love - and not just his friends and those who are nice to him.

If we contrast this with Snape who was able to love but not as fully as Harry we see a man who loves, but in a way resents the vulnerability that comes with love. And again if we contrast Harry with Voldemort we see a man who does not want to love at all; who sees love as weak and foolish, and fails to recognise the power of love and is ignorant of how love can influence magic as it did with Lily's sacrifice and later with Hary's sacrifice.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Sponsored Links