View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2012, 4:57 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
Lily states that the episode had to do with using Dark Magic on Mary who was, presumably, a Muggleborn (otherwise I don't see why a group of budding DEs would victimize her).
I don't believe we have enough information. Most of the people Severus had issues with did not appear to be muggleborn. Mulciber may have targeted her for being a Gryffindor, or they may have some sort of past history we aren't aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
I've already stated that I don't think Snape was anywhere near as extreme as Voldemort. However, I do believe that Snape believed magical blood was superior to non-magical blood. The following excerpt is one example:

The Prince's Tale, DH“Tuney h–hates me. Because we saw that letter from Dumbledore.”
“So what?”
She threw him a look of deep dislike.
“So she’s my sister!”
“She’s only a—” He caught himself quickly; Lily, too busy trying to wipe her eyes without being noticed, did not hear him.

IMO, what he stopped himself from saying was that Petunia was "only a Muggle". This shows that even before he'd come under the influence of his Slytherin friends, he was set against non-magical blood. If his dislike of Petunia rose from any other reason, he could easily have stated so. However, he stops because he realizes that stating her Muggle heritage would be an insult to Lily too and would probably antagonize Lily (whom he had pacified previously by saying it didn't matter that she was a Muggleborn).
Severus almost called Petunia a "Muggle" - which I think would have upset Lily because Petunia was her sister. I also believe most in the wizarding world saw themselves as superior to muggles. This does not mean that most saw themselves as superior to muggleborn wizards and witches.

Quote:
James and Sirius weren't symbols of the Order. There are a lot more people in the Order whom Snape had never even met and who would probably have accorded him with respect had he joined their ranks. Besides, Snape probably didn't even know during their school years that that was what James and Sirius intended to do after graduation. IMO, if Snape truly believed that Muggles and Muggleborns weren't inferior to people with magical blood, he could have ignored these two people, joined the right side of the war and gained the respect and power he craved.
Most of us judge organizations by people we know who identify with those organizations. Avery and Mulciber were identified as "budding Death Eaters" and I'd think people would see their behavior as examples of how DEs behave. I think it's fair to say that James and Sirius saw themselves as "budding Order members" and Severus would have associated the Order with them, and since he did not have a positive relationship with them he would have believed he would not have a positive influence on the Order. Instead, he chose people and groups who offered him the power and respect he wanted, and turned a blind eye to what those organizations represented, IMHO.

I don't usually consider JKR's chats and interviews as cannon, but since you mentioned her, I'd like to add what she said during a Bloombury Live Chat:

Quote:
Nithya: Lily detested mulciber,averyif snape really loved her,why didnt he sacrifice their company for her sake

J.K. Rowling: Well, that is Snape's tragedy. Given his time over again he would not have become a Death Eater, but like many insecure, vulnerable people (like Wormtail) he craved membership of something big and powerful, something impressive. He wanted Lily and he wanted Mulciber too. He never really understood Lily's aversion; he was so blinded by his attraction to the dark side he thought she would find him impressive if he became a real Death Eater.
IMHO, if Severus correctly saw the DEs as being blood supremacists, he would have understood Lily's aversion.

Quote:
To me, it felt like Snape was always the one with more invested in that friendship. Even before they started Hogwarts, the camaraderie between them appeared skewed to me. Snape is the one who smiles when Lily says his name, he's the one who fervently tries to pacify her fears (whereas we don't see such fervor when Lily tries to comfort Snape about his mom and dad), she's the one whose concentration drifts away from their conversation. To me, all these small things added up to the feeling that Snape held her more precious than she did him. That is not to say that she didn't love him as a friend, because even JKR says that she did and from her efforts to keep him on the good side, I believe so too. But, once they reached Hogwarts, I felt that she continued their friendship more because of the loyalty she felt toward him for being her first magical friend than because of any real chumminess between them. I say this because, based simply on their personalities, I don't see Lily being drawn toward Snape in the capacity of best friend.

As for her acknowledging him as her "best friend", honestly, what was she supposed to reply? "No, Sev, you're not my best friend, you're just one of my friends"? The only way you can get out of such a situation without hurting any feelings is by answering in the affirmative.
Ah, but JKR also says this, from the Bloombury Live Chat:

Quote:
Jaclyn: Did lily ever have feelings back for snape

J.K. Rowling: Yes. She might even have grown to love him romantically (she certainly loved him as a friend) if he had not loved Dark Magic so much, and been drawn to such loathesome people and acts.
The way I read this is that, had Severus given up Dark Magic, he could have been romantically involved with Lily. This sounds to me like Lily didn't spend time with Severus at Hogwarts to try to "keep him on the good side," and in fact they could have had something even more than the friendship they had.

Here's the link to the full Bloombury Live Chat:

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...ury-chat.html/

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Sponsored Links