View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2012, 1:58 am
Seventh Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
I believe that he used Half-Blood in its capacity as "better" than Muggleborn rather than as "lesser" than pureblood. Since he wasn't a pureblood, he couldn't very well name himself the 'Pureblood Prince', could he?
No, but he could have called himself "The Prince" or "Partly Princely." If he were embarrassed about his muggleborn half, i don't believe he would have mentioned "half-blood" whatsoever. He would have simply nick named himself something else, IMHO.

Quote:
We see that even the ultimate blood supremacist, Voldemort, acknowledges his half-blood status when marking Harry rather than Neville as his equal. Therefore, acknowledging your half-blood status is not a sign of not believing in blood supremacy, IMO.
I'm not aware that Voldemort ever openly acknowledged his half-blood status.

Quote:
However, he was proud of the magical blood that his mother passed on and, by extension, his maternal bloodline.
I agree that he was very proud to be a wizard, and proud of his abilities.

Quote:
I think everyone has agreed by now that Lily was Snape's exception, not the rule. He met Lily at a time when he was lonely and very emotionally vulnerable. To him, she was the only bright thing in his life at that point. He looked upon her as a heaven-sent entity more than as a human girl, which is why he allowed Lily's blood status to go ignored. By teaching her about the wizarding world, he could bring some amount of control and power to his life (I don't mean this in a sinister way; it's simple human psychology). This deep attachment to Lily was formed before he met his Slytherin friends. Therefore, it stood the test of time. And, it is this which is his ultimate redeeming quality, IMO.

I'm sorry - "everyone" agrees? I think Snape joined the DEs, not because of his belief in blood supremacy, but because he felt powerless most of his life and was looking for a group which appeared to respect him, and offered him a place in their world and a way to have some feelings of power. He was also attracted to the Dark Arts, and they offered that as well. Once Lily ended their friendship, i think he turned a blind eye to their attitudes towards muggle borns until Lily was targeted.

Quote:
As for calling her his best friend...I somehow doubt it was a publicly acknowledged fact like James-Sirius and Harry-Ron were. His statement in TPT about them being best friends felt more like he was seeking reassurance from her because, inside, he could already feel her drifting away.
I do see it as being publicly acknowledged. Lily doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would hide their friendship, and Severus did remain at the common room door after SWM and refused to leave until he spoke to her, which was a very public display, i think. During SWM, James appeared to know the two of them were friends. It doesn't seem to have been a secret, IMHO.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Sponsored Links