Thread: Oscars 2011
View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:35 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Oscars 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
The majority of Scorsese's films recieved the exact same reactions when they were first released and still got nominated for a ton of awards, Raging Bull and Goodfellas are prime examples. Initial reactions don't mean much, and if anything, with the early release date, it's been given more room for the film community to turn around on it. Heck, they've already turned mightily in favor for it. Gangs of New York also had a massive delay and it still garnered 10 nominations, as well as getting reviews that were barely stronger.

And Shutter Island was released on the same weekend as Silence of the Lambs, which also had a delay. And it won.
Interesting, but it's one of only a few possible contenders that has already been released and yet I haven't noticed ANY articles that place it in the running for Best Picture anymore. They mention Best Actor and Best Cinematography and perhaps a few other technical awards but that's about it. Also, isn't the reason it hasn't been well received due to it being too different from Scorcese's other work? Will a homage film or experimental film or or branching out film or whatever you wanna call it really be recognized for much more? Wasn't this pretty much Scorcese just having fun with something new? I guess the expansion to 10 slots might help its chances, but I wouldn't bet on it...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; May 21st, 2010 at 11:48 pm.
Sponsored Links