View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2007, 6:57 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: Fan Scripts: Remake Harry Potter

The Next Scene (With no Cuts AT ALL)
Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid
The It-doesn't-leave-out-anything Hut-on-the-Rock scene:    

PS:The Keeper of the KeysINT. HUT-ON-THE-ROCK - MIDNIGHT (30/7/1991)

Harry tries to keep warm, lying on the stone floor, under the thin blanket that is over him. Snores fill the room. Dudley is sleeping on the couch. THUNDER. Harry turns over to were he has written "Happy Birthday" in the dust. He put a circle around it, making a cake. He looks at Dudley's watch, which danging over the edge of the couch, on his wrist. 11:58pm. He turns back to his cake, he marks in the candles, and remembers...

FADES TO:

INT. KiTCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - MORNING (FLASHBACK) (31/7/1990)

Vernon hands Harry a coat-hanger and a pair of mustard socks.

VERNON DURSLEY
There you go.

FADES TO:

INT. HUT-ON-THE-ROCK - MIDNIGHT (30-31/7/1991)

Ten candles. Eleven. Harry looks at the cake quite sombre. He turns to Dudley's watch. 11:59:56. :57. :58. :59. BOOM. The door shudders. BOOM. And again. Harry stands up. Dudley has woken up, looking around, scared.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Where's the cannon?

Vernon comes into the room, holding a rifle, Petunia bringing up his rear.

VERNON DURSLEY
Who's there? I warn you, I'm armed!

SMASH. The door falls down and RUBEUS HAGRID walks in. He says cheerfully...

RUBEUS HAGRID
Couldn’t make us a cup o’ tea, could yeh? It’s not been an easy journey…

He picks up the door and puts it back in its place. Petunia and Vernon simply look at each other. Hagrid moves toward the couch where Dudley is paralyzed with shock.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Budge up, yeh great lump.

Dudley quickly gets off the couch and cowers behind his parents. Hagrid looks at Harry.

RUBEUS HAGRID
And here's Harry! Las’ time I saw you, you was only a baby. Yeh look a lot like yer dad, but yeh’ve got yer mum’s eyes.

Vernon gets his confidence back, gripping the rifle tight again.

VERNON DURSLEY
I demand that you leave at once, sir! You are breaking and entering!

RUBEUS HAGRID
Ah, shut up, Dursley, yeh great prune.

He turns and takes the rifle from Vernon. He then easily bends it into a knot and throws it into a corner. Vernon makes a noise like a mouse being trodden on.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Anyway. Harry, a very happy birthday to yeh. Got summat fer yeh here. I mighta sat on it at some point, but it’ll taste all right.

Hagrid pulls a squashed box and hands it to Harry, who opens in to find a cake with "Happy Birthday Harry" written on it. Harry looks up at Hagrid, confused.

HARRY POTTER
Who are you?

RUBEUS HAGRID
(Chuckling)
True, I haven’t introduced meself. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts.

Hagrid holds out his hand then shakes Harry's arm.

RUBEUS HAGRID
What about that tea then, eh? I’d not say no ter summat stronger if yeh’ve got it, mind.

His eyes find the empty fireplace where chip packets lay shrivelled. He snorts, then bends over it and when he stands up again, the fireplace is ablaze. Hagrid takes a kettle, sausages, a poker, a teapot, and some mugs and begins to make tea and cook sausages.

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t touch anything he gives you, Dudley.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Yer great puddin’ of a son don’ need fattenin’ anymore, Dursley, don’ worry.

Hagrid passes a cooked sausage to Harry, who eats it hungrily, yet doesn't look away from Hagrid. When he is finished, he says.

HARRY POTTER
I’m sorry, but I still don’t really know who you are.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Call me Hagrid, everyone does. An’ like I told yeh, I’m Keeper of Keys at Hogwarts – yeh’ll know all about Hogwarts, o’ course.

HARRY POTTER
Er – no.

Hagrid looks shocked

HARRY POTTER
Sorry

RUBEUS HAGRID
Sorry?
(He looks at the Dursleys)
It’s them as should be sorry! I knew yeh weren’t gettin’ yer letters but I never thought yeh wouldn’t even know abou’ Hogwarts, fer cryin’ out loud! Did yeh never wonder where yet parents learned it all?

HARRY POTTER
All what?

RUBEUS HAGRID
All what! Now wait jus’ one second!
(He now stands up and the Dursleys cower)
Do you mean ter tell me,’ he growled at the Dursleys, ‘that this boy – this boy! – knows nothin’ abou’ – about ANYTHING?

HARRY POTTER
I know some things. I can, you know, do maths and stuff.

RUBEUS HAGRID
About our world, I mean. Your world. My world. Yer parents’ world.

HARRY POTTER
What world?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Dursley!

Vernon cowers even more.

RUBEUS HAGRID
But yeh must know about yet mum and dad,’ he said. ‘I mean, they’re famous. You’re famous.

HARRY POTTER
What? My – my mum and dad weren’t famous, were they?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Yeh don’ know ... yeh don’ know ... yeh don’ know what yeh are?

Vernon suddenly steps out.

VERNON DURSLEY
Stop! Stop right there, sit! I forbid you to tell the boy anything!

Hagrid turns on Vernon.

RUBEUS HAGRID
You never told him? Never told him what was in the letter Dumbledore left fer him? I was there! I saw Dumbledore leave it, Dursley! An’ you’ve kept it from him all these years?

HARRY POTTER
Kept what from me?

VERNON DURSLEY
STOP! I FORBID YOU!

Petunia gives a gasp from the corner.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Ah, go boil yet heads, both of yeh,’ said Hagrid. ‘Harry – yer a wizard.

Complete silence.

HARRY POTTER
I’m a what?

RUBEUS HAGRID
A wizard, o’ course, an’ a thumpin’ good’un, I’d say, once yeh’ve been trained up a bit. With a mum an’ dad like yours, what else would yeh be? An’ I reckon it’s abou’ time yeh read yer letter.

From his pocket Hagrid extracts another letter. He passes it to Harry. Harry opens it. It says: "HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY, Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore, (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards), Dear Mr Potter, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31. Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress." Harry reads:

HARRY POTTER (O.S.)
Dear Mr Potter, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Harry closes the letter, shocked. After a while he says...

HARRY POTTER
What does it mean, they await my owl?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Gallopin’ Gorgons, that reminds me.

From another pocket he pulls a real live owl, a quill and a piece of parchment. He scribbles a note, ties it to the owls leg, and throws the owl out the window. Harry stands there with his mouth open.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Where was I?

Vernon moves forward again.

VERNON DURSLEY
He's not going.

RUBEUS HAGRID
I’d like ter see a great Muggle like you stop him.

HARRY POTTER
A what?

RUBEUS HAGRID
A Muggle, it's what we call non-magic folk like them. An’ it’s your bad luck you grew up in a family o’ the biggest Muggles I ever laid eyes on.

VERNON DURSLEY
We swore when we took him in we’d put a stop to that rubbish, swore we’d stamp it out of him! Wizard indeed!

HARRY POTTER
You knew? You knew I’m a – a wizard?

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Knew! Knew! Of course we knew! How could you not be, my dratted sister being what she was? Oh, she got a letter just like that and disappeared off to that – that school - and came home every holiday with her pockets full of frog spawn, turning teacups into rats. I was the only one who saw her for what she was – a freak! But for my mother and father, oh no, it was Lily this and Lily that, they were proud of having a witch in the family! Then she met that Potter at school and they left and got married and had you, and of course I knew you’d be just the same, just as strange, just as – as – abnormal – and then, if you please, she went and got herself blown up and we got landed with you!

HARRY POTTER
Blown up? You told me they died in a car crash!

RUBEUS HAGRID
CAR CRASH! How could a car crash kill Lily an’ James Potter? It’s an outrage! A scandal! Harry Potter not knowin’ his own story when every kid in our world knows his name!

HARRY POTTER
But why? What happened?

RUBEUS HAGRID
I never expected this. I had no idea, when Dumbledore told me there might be trouble gettin’ hold of yeh, how much yeh didn’t know. Ah, Harry, I don’ know if I’m the right person ter tell yeh – but someone’s gotta – yeh can’t go off ter Hogwarts not knowin’.
(He looks angrily at the Dursleys)
Well, it’s best yeh know as much as I can tell yeh - mind, I can’t tell yeh everythin’, it’s a great myst’ry, parts of it. It begins, I suppose, with - with a person called – but it’s incredible yeh don’t know his name, everyone in our world knows –

HARRY POTTER
Who?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Well – I don’ like sayin’ the name if I can help it. No one does.

HARRY POTTER
Why not?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Gulpin’ gargoyles, Harry, people are still scared. Blimey, this is difficult. See, there was this wizard who went ... bad. As bad as you could go. Worse. Worse than worse. His name was...

Hagrid gulps.

HARRY POTTER
Could you write it down?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Nah – can’t spell it. All right – Voldemort. Don’ make me say it again. Anyway, this – this wizard, about twenty years ago now, started lookin’ fer followers. Got ‘em, too – some were afraid, some just wanted a bit o’ his power, ‘cause he was gettin’ himself power, all right. Dark days, Harry. Didn’t know who ter trust, didn’t dare get friendly with strange wizards or witches… Terrible things happened. He was takin’ over. ‘Course, some stood up to him – an’ he killed ‘em. Horribly. One o’ the only safe places left was Hogwarts. Reckon Dumbledore’s the only one You-Know-Who was afraid of. Didn’t dare try takin’ the school, not jus’ then, anyway. Now, yer mum an’ dad were as good a witch an’ wizard as I ever knew. Head boy an’ girl at Hogwarts in their day! Suppose the myst’ry is why You-Know-Who never tried to get ‘em on his side before ... probably knew they were too close ter Dumbledore ter want anythin’ ter do with the Dark Side. Maybe he thought he could persuade ‘em… maybe he just wanted ‘em outta the way. All anyone knows is, he turned up in the village where you was all living, on Halloween ten years ago. You was just a year old. He came ter yer house an’ – an’ –

Hagrid pulls out his handkerchief and blows his nose.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Sorry. But it’s that sad – knew yer mum an’ dad, an’ nicer people yeh couldn’t find – anyway ... You-Know-Who killed ‘em. An’ then – an’ this is the real myst’ry of the thing – he tried to kill you, too. Wanted ter make a clean job of it, I suppose, or maybe he just liked killin’ by then. But he couldn’t do it. Never wondered how you got that mark on yer forehead? That was no ordinary cut. That’s what yeh get when a powerful, evil curse touches yeh – took care of yer mum an’ dad an’ yer house, even – but it didn’t work on you, an’ that’s why yer famous, Harry. No one ever lived after he decided ter kill ‘em, no one except you, an’ he’d killed some o’ the best witches an’ wizards of the age – the McKinnons, the Bones, the Prewetts – an’ you was only a baby, an’ you lived.
Harry looks away from Hagrid and the screen fills with green light and a high, cold laugh is heard.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Took yeh from the ruined house myself, on Dumbledore’s orders. Brought yeh ter this lot...

VERNON DURSLEY
Load of tosh.

Vernon steps forward once again.

VERNON DURSLEY
Now, you listen here, boy, I accept there’s something strange about you, probably nothing a good beating wouldn’t have cured – and as for all this about your parents, well, they were weirdos, no denying it, and the world’s better off without them in my opinion – asked for all they got, getting mixed up with these wizarding types – just what I expected, always knew they’d come to a sticky end –

Suddenly Hagrid leaps from the couch and draws a pink umbrella in front of Vernon.

RUBEUS HAGRID
I’m warning you, Dursley – I’m warning you – one more word...

Vernon looks rather scared by the umbrella and draws back.

RUBEUS HAGRID
That’s better.

Hagrid sits back on the couch.

HARRY POTTER
But what happened to Vol – sorry – I mean, You-Know-Who?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Good question, Harry. Disappeared. Vanished. Same night he tried ter kill you. Makes yeh even more famous. That’s the biggest myst’ry, see … he was gettin’ more an’ more powerful – why’d he go? Some say he died. Codswallop, in my opinion. Dunno if he had enough human left in him to die. Some say he’s still out there, bidin’ his time, like, but I don’ believe it. People who was on his side came back ter ours. Some of ‘em came outta kinda trances. Don’ reckon they could’ve done if he was comin’ back. Most of us reckon he’s still out there somewhere but lost his powers. Too weak to carry on. ‘Cause somethin’ about you finished him, Harry. There was somethin’ goin’ on that night he hadn’t counted on – I dunno what it was, no one does - but somethin’ about you stumped him, all right.

Harry looks into Hagrid's warm eyes, which are respecting him. Harry's green eyes are confused.

HARRY POTTER
Hagrid, I think you must have made a mistake. I don’t think I can be a wizard.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Not a wizard, eh? Never made things happen when you was scared or angry?

Harry looks into the fire remembers something.

SNAKE (V.O.)
Brazil here I come...thanksss, amigo

Harry looks back at Hagrid, to see him smiling back at him.

RUBEUS HAGRID
See? Harry Potter, not a wizard – you wait, you’ll be right famous at Hogwarts.

VERNON DURSLEY
Haven’t I told you he’s not going? He’s going to Stonewall High and he’ll be grateful for it. I’ve read those letters and he needs all sorts of rubbish - spell books and wands and –

RUBEUS HAGRID
If he wants ter go, a great Muggle like you won’t stop him. Stop Lily an’ James Potter’s son goin’ ter Hogwarts! Yer mad. His name’s been down ever since he was born. He’s off ter the finest school of witchcraft and wizardry in the world. Seven years there and he won’t know himself. He’ll be with youngsters of his own sort, fer a change, an’ he’ll be under the greatest headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Albus Dumbled –

VERNON DURSLEY
I AM NOT PAYING FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH HIM MAGIC TRICKS!

Hagrid takes out his umbrella again.

RUBEUS HAGRID
NEVER – INSULT – ALBUS – DUMBLEDORE – IN – FRONT – OF – ME!

He points the umbrella at Dudley. A flash of violet light. A squeal of pain. Dudley hops around, holding his buttocks. A pig's tail is seen between them. The Dursleys rush into the other room.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Shouldn’ta lost me temper, but it didn’t work anyway. Meant ter turn him into a pig, but I suppose he was so much like a pig anyway there wasn’t much left ter do.

Hagrid looks at Harry.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Be grateful if yeh didn’t mention that ter anyone at Hogwarts. I’m – er – not supposed ter do magic, strictly speakin’. I was allowed ter do a bit ter follow yeh an’ get yer letters to yeh an’ stuff – one o’ the reasons I was so keen ter take on the job.

HARRY POTTER
Why aren’t you supposed to do magic?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Oh, well – I was at Hogwarts meself but I – er – got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wand in half an’ everything. But Dumbledore let me stay on as gamekeeper. Great man, Dumbledore.

HARRY POTTER
Why were you expelled?

Hagrid changes the subject.

RUBEUS HAGRID
It’s gettin’ late and we’ve got lots ter do tomorrow. Gotta get up ter town, get all yer books an’ that.

He takes off his coat and hands it to Harry.

RUBEUS HAGRID
You can kip under that. Don’ mind if it wriggles a bit, I think I still got a couple o’ dormice in one o’ the pockets.

Sponsored Links