View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2008, 5:17 am
Fifth Year

Re: Fan-Fiction Discussion (Including Harry Potter Fan-Fiction)

What type do you generally like to read?
Lily/James is what I read most. I just love them. I also love ones more centred around the Marauders, especially James and Sirius. However it is extremely difficult to find a canon compliant one with no out of characterness.

What genre do you like in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Romance for Lily/James. I also like reading a bit of James angst (though well written angst tends to be rare for James in my experience). I'm also dying to read some good action fics that show Lily and James defying Voldemort those three times. I like well written comedies (Dung Detention on Fanfiction.net for any marauder fans). James/Lily fluff is always good too

What do you particularly look for in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Well written, characters that are canon compliant, has the ships I actually ship, and makes me actually feel something while reading. There are also certain storylines I sometimes look for (like a pregnant Lily, or Lily/James pre dating, or post marriage, etc.. - it depends on my mood).

What do you not like to see in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Bad characterisation is my biggest pet peeve by far. If I read a passage where Lily is screaming at James for something stupid and throwing books at him, I stop reading. Constant grammer and spelling errors are annoying as well. I don't like reading about ships I don't like as well, but that's obvious

Have you written Harry Potter fan-fiction before?
Yeah.. years ago. I don't like it now Right now I just have plot bunnies that I never plan to write down.

Any Pet Peeves when it comes to fan-fiction?
Loads. Bookworm!Lily, uptight Lily who never breaks rules, Lily who constantly screams at James, Lily who throws books at James, Lily who's obsessed with perfect grades, James who's obsessed with Lily, James who constantly asks Lily out, despite the rejection, bookworm!Remus, a Remus smarter than Sirius and James, non existant Peter -
- basically anything I consider out of character