View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:30 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Feminism: Definitions and Misconceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGG View Post
I mean Third Wave feminism as an ideological movement, not the generation of women it encompasses. As far as I've learned in class, TWF has fought for reproductive rights like abortions, language (reclaiming derogatory words like the b-word and the fact that most jobs include the word "man"), the representation of women in the media, and the riot grrrl movement. While I think all these fights are great if that's your cup of tea, I don't see how they can compare to, say, what the Suffragettes did. Nothing conclusive has been reached on the reproductive rights arena (or any of the others) since Roe vs. Wade. If anything, most places (besides Mexico City) are going backwards in that respect. I'd say one of its biggest achievements has been to find a nice-sounding name for the fact that they can't make up their minds about anything: "embrassing diversity and contradiction".
Must we compare the waves of feminism? Honestly, IMO, it just doesn't matter.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Sponsored Links