View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2007, 2:17 pm
Second Year

Re: "separated by a common language"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
I think that actually depends on who you ask--I overheard a conversation about this the other day. But, yeah, they're at least pretty similar. I've noticed that all the scones I've ever eaten (which doesn't amount to much) are less fluffy than a lot of American biscuits though, but that may just be me.
As far as I can tell, what the British call scones are what Americans call muffins. (A kind of quick-bread baked in a cupcake tin, usually without paper liners.) What we (Americans) call buscuits are made from a slightly stiffer batter that can be rolled out, cut into shape and baked on a tray. What we call "English Muffins" are apparrently cast in a ring on a tray from a relatively loose batter, and are wider than most muffins. Are they what the English call scones?

Regarding Pumpkin Pie etc. - apparently there are different varieties of pumpkin that are popular in differrent regions. In America, the round pumpkins are popular because of the tradition of carving Jack-o-Lanterns. They have a nice large cavity inside and not much flesh. Here in Israel, the common pumpkin is huge, and somewhat irregularly shaped with thick flesh that when cooked mashes up somewhat stringy. The American pumpkins mash up like potatoes, and are more suitable for making pie filling. Here the closest I can get to them is called a " Georgian" or a "dry" pumpkin. It doesn't really matter which variety of pumpkin is used as far as taste is concerned. If you have a good recipe, the pie will be tasty. Most of the charachteristic taste of pumpkin pie comes from the spices used anyway.

Last edited by Quickquill; October 31st, 2007 at 2:39 pm.
Sponsored Links