View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2015, 4:30 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Everything JKR said lines up with what I already felt about Snape, and her success in creating such a complex and conflicted character, so as you can imagine, I was rather pleased.
I don't know, I think that the fact that Snape's motivation was largely love takes away some of his complexity for me. It's the same thing with Dumbledore, which is why I maintain that Dumbledore wasn't entirely motivated by love but also had ambitions and other motivations which led him to do what he did. It's a matter of taste of course, but I don't find love very compelling as a motivation for a character. It makes sense and it's realistic that people will do crazy things when in love, but I would prefer it if a character's motivation didn't boil down to just that.

It would have been great if Snape first decided to change because of Lily but then also discovered other reasons for why he shouldn't be on the dark side. Yet even this recent Twitter discussion says Snape never had any idealistic motivations.

I respect his desire to redeem himself but love as a drive force just isn't very interesting to me. Voldemort seems like a much more interesting character.

Sponsored Links