View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2015, 9:05 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
We've agreed on a lot over the years, Yoana, but not this one. I just don't think she succeeded in showing Snape to be what she now says he is/was. I've said many times that I gave up on Snape after reading POA. Nothing I saw in the last four books changed my mind about him one bit. I also didn't buy the bit about Harry suddenly forgiving Snape and then naming his second son after him!
No, what I meant was, if an author managed to stir debate, let alone long-lasting and heated debate, of their books, they did well as an author, because if there's nothing to analyse and argue about, if everything is clear-cut and there's no room for interpretation, it can't be a very good book IMO.

As for Snape, I think it's a matter of interpretation and you're just as right about him as I am and as JKR is. He's a literary character and as such belong to each reader and I believe there are no wrong interpretations. I haven't always believed that but I do now. Reading and making sense of stories and characters for one's own pleasure and fun is such an individual thing because we're all so different, coming from different backgrounds and experiences. I don't think there's such a thing as a wrong interpretation of a character, and the more interpretations there are, the greater depth there is to a character.

Sponsored Links