View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Most boring book you've read or tried to read

For me it's definitely A Separate Peace by John Knowles. That's the only book I've had to read for school that there wasn't at least something that I found interesting. I have a hard time remembering what even happened because it made so little impression on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
A lot of people like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but I had to read it for an English class once and I never managed to get through it. It was really boring for me
I can definitely understand where you're coming from. There's a lot of description of the river and all that, and I know some people have a hard time understanding the colloquial dialogue, so they tend to drift. I didn't find every moment thrilling, but overall I liked the book well enough. I think it has a good message about society and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
For some reason I disliked the Great Gatsby when we read it in school, but I think I need to give it another try.
I didn't like it much, either. Although I did enjoy that actual writing--it had some really nice prose--I found the rest kind of boring. Especially Nick Carroway. I thought he was such a flat character.
Quote:
Another book I just thought of was Frankenstein by Mary Shelkey, you think it would be really interesting, but no.
I just read that like last week. I also didn't get what I was expecting, but I did like it overall. I thought it would be more sci-fi/horror like the movies, but it ended up being very philosophical. I still liked it, though. The parts I found really boring were when Victor Frankenstein kept describing the scenery or going on and on about his misery...ok, we get it now. Life sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Ah yes - the books we had to read for school. For me it was Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. I should have mentioned it, but that was long ago and it had slipped my mind. Or maybe the memory of valiantly trying to go through it is so painful that I blocked it out.
I just finished Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence today for school. Not by choice. Some of it was a little difficult to get through because it rambled on about different genteel families or described how their living room was furnished, but again, I didn't mind it overall because I think it has some powerful sociological and gender messages.

As you can see, it's pretty hard to get me to dislike a book outright. I'm usually pretty generous in overlooking a book's boring parts and appreciating the good stuff. So A Separate Peace must've been really bad.

Sponsored Links