View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2011, 1:01 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
(I wonder how Severus contacted Dumbledore to meet with him, as the meeting was obviously prearranged? I doubt if he sent an owl, as it might be intercepted...any ideas on this?)
Yeah, I'd say sending an owl without any precautions would not have been a wise move. Even in his distress, I doubt he forgot just how terrible were the "punishments" Voldemort meted out to his servants. I'd say that he'd make hasty precautions, either had a way of keeping his owl protected, or he sent a note through the Floo or a third party.

Then again, it's also possible that he went straight from Voldemort to Dumbledore, was panicked enough to send an owl, and simply got lucky.

What I'd be curious to know is just how much time passed between the moment Voldemort revealed to Snape the identity of the prophesied child, and the meeting between him and Dumbledore. That may help clear up the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
So...Harry arrives at Hogwarts, and on the first day of class, Snape begins questioning him. Perhaps those Slytherin students were told by their "reformed" DE parents to get to know Harry and see if he would be a good rallying point, and Snape wanted to squash that as quickly as he could, for Harry's safety (plus Snape didn't know Harry yet - what if Harry was the type who would love the attention and want to be the new leader?) and because he didn't want another potential Dark Lord? And he wanted to highlight Neville's deficiencies as well, in case some of the students decided Voldy went after the wrong guy, when Neville was actually the one the prophecy referred to?

Thoughts?
I think Snape did see a real danger in Harry letting the fame get to his head. After all, being complacent is the last thing the Chosen One ought to do. I think that Severus did later, after Harry had defeated Voldemort the first couple times, come to the conclusion that Harry would never go bad (just arrogant and obnoxious ), but could he have come to that conclusion by the first potions class? Who knows...

We know he makes a particular remark about Harry's fame and suggests Harry feels himself too good to study. He also seems to take great pains to emphasize that he has, to put it as he did in GoF, not joined Harry's little fan club. I'm inclined to think that, future Dark Lord or not, what Severus is really wanting to do is squash the arrogant tendencies he is convinced Harry has, as well as convince himself that Harry indeed has them. I would say that any aspirations Harry might have to dominate others would also be squashed along with his arrogance. You've got to be pretty self-assured to aim for the position of Dark Lord.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Sponsored Links