View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

I'm not sure Severus really thought the whole situation through. I know, seems a bit strange to say of the man who became a successful spy, but I see the young Severus as having an impulsive streak, which he only later tamped down when he first began spying and using Occlumency. He appears unable to contain himself any longer and leaps out of the bushes when he first meets Lily. His indignation at James is so overpowering it makes him stumble over his words as a teen. He was so horrified at the identity of the child's mother that he asked Voldemort himself to spare a Muggleborn, then stood out in the open on a hillside waiting for the leader of the opposition, who he believed might kill him. These actions seem to be very emotionally-motivated, and I think the same can be said for his delivering of the Prophecy: wanting to gain favor (and therefore less likelihood of getting Crucio'd), and then, later, wanting to pull out all the stops to make absolutely sure Lily is protected, even if it means treachery to the Dark Lord.

What does this say about his loyalty to Voldemort? Mostly, I think, it means that his loyalty to Lily turned out to be far more powerful. I'd also add that I think it suggests he had no deeply ideological reasons for working among the DEs (once again, I look to emotional reasons for that), as he doesn't make any comment to the effect that he feels he is doing any wrong by betraying the DEs and their cause.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Sponsored Links