View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:07 pm
Banned

Re: Severus Snape & The Green Man Motif

I have to admit I have never heard of a skull in British culture representing rebirth, nor a poisonous snake. The skull is usually a representative of death, period. Rebirth is not a Christian motif either. I'm pretty sure the Christian belief is resurrection.
The other problem I have with this motif is that we never once see Snape with his hands dirty from working with anything in nature and of course there is the small problem that Snape is just one of many characters in the book. He is not the hero or even IMO someone close to the hero. Harry is the hero and he is the one who defeats death and becomes the Master of it. Neville comes close to being the Green Man with his very close connection to the concept of growing plants and his respect for the natural world. Does Snape even once voice respect for the elemental power of nature? I can't remember one time when he even acknowledges the natural world. Yes, green is the colour of Slytherin. The green of the underwater lake that reflects into the Slytherin Common Room and the silver of the moon. Not many plants flourish in moonlight. Of course Snape uses plants in the making of Potions, but we never see him gather any and the growing plants at Hogwarts are grown by Pomona, who's name means apple and is the Roman goddess of fruit trees. The same thing as Minerva MCGonagall being named for the goddess of wisdom. Albus being white represents the side of the Light and Severus is of course, 'stern'. I haven't got the faintest idea who Flitwick was the son of, other than of course his parents.

Sponsored Links