View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm
First Year

Re: Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

I think that from the moment Dumbledore gave Snape a chance to make up for Lilly's death Snape became completly devoted to Dumbledore. It is obvious that Snape was devasted by what happened to Lilly. He knew it was his own fault that the woman he loved was dead. Dumbledore offering him a second chance was more than he could ever have hoped for. He had a chance to off-load the grief and guilt he was carrying and redeem himself. While i don't think he ever became a close friend of Dumbledore, i do believe that he was very grateful for the chance he was given. For this reason he would never betray Dumbledore.

I think Dumbledore must have known this and this is why he kept insisting that he trusted Snape. He knew Snape would not re-join the Death Eaters because he was giving Snape the only thing that made him able to live with himself - a way of redeeming himself in the eyes of Lilly by protecting her son.

"One simply uses the symbol to reveal oneself to other believers, in the hope that they might help one with the quest". Xenophilius Lovegood
Sponsored Links