View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2007, 1:13 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: The Relationship Between Science and Religion

Taking a crack at the questions myself

1. Based off of your religious beliefs, do you think that some forms of scientific research should be restricted?

Well, the one that immediately comes to mind is stem cell research. Thing is, I haven't fully decided on my position. Real impact from them is years away, so many hurdles remain. The new advances from skin cells have several limitations, but it's a start. So...hard to say.

2. What impact has religion had on scientific advances? Has organized religion held up the progress of scientific advancement?

Historically, I don't think it has. As was pointed out a couple posts ago, much of the early research was specifically to find out about God's mysteries. But, at times, religion and science have butted heads - The Earth revolving around the Sun is one that comes to mind.

3. What do you think the relationship between religion and science should be?

I do think that, for the most part, they should remain separate. However, I think that in some areas of science there is the perception that they don't mix, which I disagree with. I don't think that to be a scientist means that you have to deny religion, and I don't think that a religious scientist is an oxymoron. Yet, being within the sciences myself, I do see some of that attitude.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links