View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:30 pm
Third Year

Re: The Relationship Between Science and Religion

1. Based off of your religious beliefs, do you think that some forms of scientific research should be restricted? No, not really. I have an ethical objection to some methods, like animal testing for cosmetics (though I don't object to lab rats or whatever to test cures for things... but cosmetic use just seems unnecessary cruelty.) But my religion doesn't teach against any kind of scientific inquiry.

2. What impact has religion had on scientific advances? Has organized religion held up the progress of scientific advancement?
Positive and negative. There are some points in history where scientific advancement was motivated by or supported by religious institutions/religious paradigms... Architecture, astronomy, and chemistry being prime examples... and there are other points in history where scientific advancement was blocked by religious institutions/religious paradigms... like certain medical advancements - particularly to do with sexual health - heliocentric astronomy, etc. If we consider all religions and all sciences, then it's hard to say that there's been one overall impact.

3. What do you think the relationship between religion and science should be? I think that they should be two autonomous bodies, either way - offering support, advice, and criticism - but each being allowed to proceed without any major interference from the other. Honest friends, but individually responsible for themselves. ^_^ I don't know if that's possible, but hey, that's what ideals are for. ^_^

Sponsored Links