View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:16 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I would say that's the simple connection, and for me that's still quite symbolic. Lily is the pivotal point for both of them that makes it into a reflection - as symbolized by the what Harry sees in the Mirror of Erised and what Snape would probably see also - Lily. JMO

In PoA, Harry connects to James through the Stag Patronus, but Snape was connected to Lily long before Harry was born going back to Severus's own childhood. So it's true that Snape's Doe Patronus predates Harry, but it all starts to overlap in PoA as Harry finds that same type of power in himself.

A doe and stag are just two sides of the same species as a sort of "spirit guide." That's a pretty strong connection between Snape and Harry, it seems to me, not to mention that in PoA Harry has the dream about a white shape leading him through the dark forest which is realized in DH as Snape's Silver Doe in the Forest of Dean.

So to me that foreshadowing is a clue long before DH of the connection between Snape and Harry. We just couldn't see it at the time ~ of course it's a connection to Lily and James, too, who probably had those same Patronuses (although it's not as clearly spelled out in the book). But the whole thing nearly makes Snape rise to parental level or at least family level since there is no deer connection to any other characters except the Potters and Snape, or none that I can recall....
Sorry if this makes my interpretation "shallow," but I still think that the connection between Harry's patronus and Snape's is limited to the connection between Lily and James. I do not now and probably never will see Snape as a good or positive role model for Harry, and do not think that he ought to be Harry's "spirit guide" either. I think he finds much better role models and spirit guides in the people that actually show up In The Forest Again, and in Albus Dumbledore as portrayed in Kings Cross. If Snape had been able to work through his grief, his bitterness, his past schoolboy grudges, and the rest of the baggage that is used to explain his vindictive behaviour, he would be an excellent mentor, role model and guide. As he is portrayed in all 7 books, he is not a good example to follow.

And if matching Patronus forms was supposed to show some sort of spiritual or family connection between characters, then you would have to conclude that there is some sort of connection between Minerva and Dolores, who both have cat Patronus forms. I don't think there is any such thing.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Sponsored Links