View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2008, 3:19 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Re: Ender's Game and related series

hahaha - honestly, as Ender grew up, I became less and less interested in him as a character. I know that sounds disloyal, because I still cared about what was going to happen to him later. But it was like, once he wrote The Hive Queen and The Hegemon, there was this whole other universe to explore, with Ender's personal story being a much smaller focal point to go back to.

Don't get me wrong - I still loved Ender. But after the first book, I think it was important to get away from his perspective and tell the story from different points of view.
Spoiler: show
Such as the moment when the group finally goes to parley with The Hive Queen - that scene was so strange and frightening, but wouldn't have been if Card had chosen to tell it from Ender's perspective instead of Valentine's. She has that deep-seated terror from watching all the war vids back on Earth, so that gives the scene an edge that would have been missing if he'd told the scene from the POV of a character who's already sympathetic to the Hive Queen.

Also, the Qing-Jao story was more than likely the starting point of my long-standing fascination with Asian culture. (Sorry, I'm babbling - I haven't ever, ever gotten a chance to 'forum' about these books before.)

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Sponsored Links