View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I, for one, am really excited about this. In all the JKR interviews I've read, I've always gotten the impression that she wasn't fully done with HP but that she would never write more Harry Potter stories. I think this is a brilliant idea by Warner Brothers (even though it is purely formed from a profits standpoint). I think it gives JKR an entry back into the Wizarding World without revisiting the Potterverse.

What this really reminds me of, and here I'm totally speculating, is Gilderoy Lockheart and his series of books. That it could be a series of stand alone stories. Which I think it kind of has to be - otherwise JKR needs to conceive of one larger story that is broken up into parts but still has distinct beginnings, middles and endings (as HP does).

I think setting it 70 years before HP starts - I don't know if she means 1910's, 20's or 30's - but any time in that time frame is interesting. You get a mass culture shift from 1910-20, you get prohibition, immigration issues (esp in NYC and anti-immigrant sentiment), you get Gatsby society, Women's right to vote, the invention of the automobile, and that all leads into the Great Depression. SO much history she can pull from and weave her Wizarding World laws into.

Anyone out there read Libba Bray's The Diviners? It has a similar time frame and setting - something dark and evil awakens in the city that never sleeps... I don't think JKR will go dark with these movies, but the potential is there. I think she's gearing things more towards the next generation of HP readers, and that's who the audience will be for this movie series.

Lastly, the one thing I have always disliked about the HP movies was the screenplay. I loved the sets, props, costumes, cinematography, casting. Just hated the screenplay. So this really gives me hope that she can bring the wit and dialogue to the screen that HP missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
Also, why 'Fantastic Beasts' and not 'Quidditch' or 'Beedle?' I mean, 'Fantastic Beasts' is not the obvious choice.
I recall that JKR was quoted as saying that she was happy to write her last Quidditch scene when it stopped showing up in the books. Beedle's stories are already there, and we've seen in HP7 pt2 that the Tale of the Three Brothers was animated, short and concise. I think you could make a whole movie out of a Fairy Tale (Cinderella anyone?) but the potential for discovering anything new from the wizarding world is minimal.

With Fantastic Beasts there is potential for adventure. How did Mr. Scamander discover the creatures? Who else is involved? Does he intervene if they are targeting muggles? Does he take time to learn their ways to communicate with them? Are there duels with other wizards in protecting/hiding secrets surrounding them? Is there an enemy who is trying to eliminate magical creatures? Is the American Ministry involved? What is the Wizarding system of government in the US? Do we get to see the Salem Institute? The possibilities are endless, and that's why Fantastic Beasts is the most likely material for a new series of stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I wonder the "FB and Where to Find Them" book was originally done to support one of JKR's charities will that mean some of the profits from this movie will go to the same charity? .
That would be fairly groundbreaking in the movie biz. Gosh I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I have thought that a TV series that's a twist/satire on an exotic-animal travelogue would be more fitting - and I'd like to think that Rowling's thought of that herself, but the idea that she's come up with is different enough from her book, and more appropriate for a film.
I too could see this as an extended TV series - like as complex as Game of Thrones - detailed enough to feel like a movie, but with the time frame of an hour.