View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2009, 4:16 pm
Banned

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesquipedalian View Post
4. As others have observed on this website, Hooper and Yates use the same tracks from the musical score at a variety of places in the film with little reason for doing such. Why put the music from the "Drink of Despair" scene, which is quite an emotional section of the film, during the Sectumsempra scene? Why have the music that plays over the opening titles nearly the same as that which plays when Harry is crying over Dumbledore's body? It ruins a lot of the emotional impact of these scenes. In addition, I still cannot believe that Hooper slapped versions of the "Hedwig's Theme" track that sound as though it is from Chamber of Secrets into the scene at the Burrow and on the Hogwarts Express. I, for one, am glad that he will not be returning to score the Deathly Hallows films.
Reusing tracks is common in a film series. The reason the bit of music played over the title at the beginning where Harry and Dumbledore are together is the same as when Dumbledore dies is because, and I quote from the HBP score liner notes, "it [provides] the musical DNA for Dumbledore's story throughout the movie".

If you compare Hedwig's Theme to every other version, it sounds different. Slightly so, but still different. This is also true for the bit of music from PoA during the Quidditch match.

Edit: By the way, using parts of tracks different times throughout the film is usually an indicator that it is a theme.

Last edited by NumberEight; September 1st, 2009 at 5:02 pm.
Sponsored Links