View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2010, 4:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Electronic Readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post

Also, I'm not sure about this, but maybe the cost of an e-book is less than a paper book.
It depends. Public domain books are free. Many big publishers offer free books. For example, Harlequin offered 16 free books on their 60th anniversary. The Crossroads Cafe was recently offered free (reg. $9.99) and I definitely enjoyed it (warning for vulgar language, but not excessive). There are always free books in all different genres. And you are not confined to Amazon. Smashwords and All Romance Ebooks, just to name two, offer Kindle compatible books, as well as for other e-readers. Manybooks.net and The Gutenberg Project offer free public domain books.

However, if you're the kind of person who wants to buy the hardback book the first day it comes out, you're going to pay a premium price for the e-book. Amazon has just begun to address the issue of the pricing by offering authors and publishers 70% royalties on e-books priced between $2.99 and $9.99, which must be at least 20% below the DTB (dead tree book) price.

Many indie authors offer their books for 99 cents and I've found some very, very good authors that way (Mike Hicks, Jeff Hepple, Dennis Batchelder, Margaret Lake, to name a few).

The easy answer is, it depends on how much you want to spend. I find my buying habits haven't changed from when I bought DTB's. I refuse to pay full price with very rare exceptions, and usually bought used books. What I was willing to spend before hasn't changed. I'll wait for the paperback to come out, which is when the e-book price drops.

Quote:
Additionally, I think it would be easy to look up quotes or passages within a book with an e-reader.
Absolutely, and you can highlight, notate and bookmark as you read.

Quote:
A disadvantage of having an e-book is that you miss the physical experience of reading a book. Some books I just need to have that experience. Others it's not as important.
Not at all. I skinned mine and got a flip top leather cover with an easel back. Now, all my books are leather bound. And I don't have to hold a two or three pound book.

Quote:
but I'm sure there will always be people who would favor real books and never use e-readers.
True. Some do go back and forth because many classics aren't available (most notably HP) ... To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Good Earth, just to name a few. Watership Down just became available a few months ago. When I bought my Kindle, only about 150K books were available. Now it's well over 350K and growing rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post

Desraelda, how long do the batteries last?
About a week before charging as long as you keep Whispernet off. You should turn it on only if you are downloading books, newspapers, blogs, etc. My battery is now well over a year old and the charge doesn't last quite as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
The amenity of e-readers for travllers is, I think, overrated particularly for those who like to travel light or get off the beaten track.

Admittedly I'm an old-school curmudgeon, but when I started lighting out for the territories people were unencumbered by electronics (except for the odd Walkman).

Now people drag around phones and laptops or netbooks and MP3 players and probably will feel compelled to bring along e-readers all of which require you to pack rechargers and are attractive to thieves.
I'll grant you attractive to thieves.

I only carry my netbook and Kindle. Music can be downloaded to your Kindle just like an MP3, and you can play music and read at the same time. Kindle apps are now available for I-Phone and PC (free from Amazon), so you could presumably only bring your netbook. As for chargers, frequent travelers find it cost effective to buy one Igo charger with tips for all their electronics. The Kindle does have a web browser, but it's pretty primitive.

Oh, and my TBR pile is just as huge on my Kindle as it is for my DTB's. But what I haven't read in DTB is going to Goodwill.

Sponsored Links