View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2014, 7:28 am
Sixth Year

Re: CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Hello, fellow writers! Obviously it's 2014 now, and this 2013 CoS Speed Writing Competition is long gone. But if you are still interested in writing, I found an awesome new tool!

It's called ilys.com, and it's fantastic! It prevents you from editing until you've reached your word count goal. You can only see one letter at a time, which I thought would be annoying, but it's actually very conducive to creative flow because you can only focus on what you're writing now in the moment instead of worrying about what you've already written. If you're like me, always fussing over every sentence and reading previous paragraphs, this is 100% worth your time. It used to take me hours to reach my daily word count goal, and now I'm plunking out 1,000 words like it's nothing.

I took a leap of faith and decided to do Camp NaNoWriMo. Unlike the November session of NaNo, you can choose any word count goal for Camp. But I decided to keep the default goal 50,000 since that's what the real NaNo is. So far I'm almost 25k in after only about two weeks. This is unheard of for me. I'm still shocked I got this far. And I intend to finish! If I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck, everyone! Seriously, give ilys a try. It's done wonders for me.

ETA:

I did it! I won Camp NaNoWriMo by reaching my word count goal of 50k during the month of July. My novel is still far from finished, but I've gotten farther than I ever have before. I know have an actual, novel- (or at least novella-) length manuscript. Time to power through till the end! However, I am considering putting it on pause to try my hand at the real NaNoWriMo come November. It'll be especially tricky since I'll be in school. But now that I know I have it in me to write 50k words in a month, let's see how I do with a little extra pressure added on.

Last edited by GrangerHermione; February 7th, 2015 at 6:40 am.
Sponsored Links