View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2011, 6:43 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
This could be taken the same way, I guess. It would be really hard to look like you are working on both sides at once. How do you appear like you are a Death Eater and an Order member at the same time? I would think that it would be a lot easier to appear neutral. Maybe real life spies don't do this.
Yeah, the thing about double agents is that almost by definition they do not look like they are working on both sides at once. They look like they are working on the opposite side from the side they are actually working on. See Juan Pujol Garcia (a.k.a. "Garbo") for an example of a RL double agent. He didn't seem neutral. He seemed to be working for the Nazis, but was in fact working for the Allies.

Based on the accuracy of JKR's portrayal of double agency, I would say that it's reasonable to assume that she researched RL double agency when drawing Snape, and I think it's likely JKR probably based some elements of Snape's double agency on "Garbo" - esp. the information Snape passed on to Voldemort in advance of the 7 Potters.

In actuality, killing Dumbledore did not undermine Snape's double agency (i.e. by making him no longer appear neutral). It enhanced his double agency by giving him seemingly flawless DE credentials.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; February 13th, 2011 at 6:50 am.
Sponsored Links