View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2011, 6:45 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
I don't know how culpablility is measured, but for me if someone ends up dead because you started a ball rolling down a hill, it don't matter that someone else gave it an extra kick or two, you're culpable. Snape was pretty smart, he knew it as well as anybody else.
I see it like this. I think Snape did set the ball rolling knowing that someone would die because of it and in that I think he was very much responsible; but when he knew who that someone would be, he made sure that those people would be protected and not be hurt by the ball. In doing so, I think his responsibility towards Lily and James's death lifted, but his responsibility in starting an action that would get a baby killed was very much alive.

Then another man, Peter, came and removed the protections that would have ensured the Potters complete safety from the huge rolling stone and by doing so, killed them.

At this point was it Snape or Peter who was responsible got Lily's death? I think it was Peter (and Voldemort of course).

Can a man be held responsible for a wrong action even after he has taken steps to ensure that his wrong action does not harm anyone? If someone is harmed despite it, because of other persons, then whom should we blame?

I also believe that Snape never thought for a second he was not responsible for Lily's death or for James's death for that matter. I think he thought he was culpable and he felt deep remorse for for an action that he felt was irresponsible and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Now, I admit to never being in the highlands of Scotland, but that doesn't sound like August to me. I believe the consensus opinion is more like late autumn 1980.
Even if it was late autumn it was almost a whole year before the Potters were killed, which was what I meant, when I said Snape came well in time to save them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Why did he not make Harry go and get the "Prince's" book? Why do you think he let Harry get away with not turning the book over to him?
Snape applied Legilimency and saw that Harry had wanted to protect the Book and I think he was privately tickled pink that Harry not only wanted his Book, but did not want to return it to him, thought the Book important to enough to hide it, to keep it. I think it's possible that he also made the connection between Slughorn's statement about Harry's potion brilliance and his old Book and may have been pretty much amused/happy/and in some weird way proud about it. So, I think he let Harry have it.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links