View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:19 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB
There is no end to the trail of darkness that lies in Jealousy's wake, imo.
I don't think all of Snape's actions can be dismissed as dark just because of his feelings towards James.

I guess I'll quote Dumbledore: "Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike."

There isn't a single character in these books that doesn't dislike someone, and some of the best "good" characters feel plenty of jealousy and anger towards people often with much fewer understandable reasons than Snape has. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Harry, etc. So in my opinion, Snape is just as human as the rest of the characters and shouldn't be held to a higher standard of purity.

But the Silver Doe seems to be figurative and symbolic proof that Snape has left the "trail of darkness." It seemed pretty bright to Harry:

DH"It was a silver white doe, moon-bright and dazzling, picking her way over the ground, still silent, and leaving no hoofprints in the fine powdering of snow"

I don't think a patronus like that could be formed just from jealousy or anger. But he wasn't a saint or perfect, and to expect him never to dislike someone is asking for more than any other character is able to do.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Sponsored Links