View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2009, 6:35 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post

I think Dumbledore meant the love being studied in the Dept. of Mysteries, the kind that makes the world go around was the love that Snape had; something that made him change from inside.
You're right, TGW! I forgot that Dumbledore said it that way!

Here's the quote:

"There is a room in the Department of Mysteries that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all."

Now technically, Dumbledore doesn't say that Snape "possessed love in great quantities." However, in reading the Prince's Tale we learn that the only thing that really changed Snape was his love for Lily that went beyond death.

Then Harry says in DH:

Chapter 36
The Flaw In The Plan

“Severus Snape wasn’t yours,” said Harry. “Snape was Dumbledore’s, Dumbledore’s from the moment you started hunting down my mother. And you never realized it, because of the thing you can’t understand. You never saw Snape cast a Patronus, did you, Riddle?”

Voldemort did not answer. They continued to circle each other like wolves about to tear each other apart.

“Snape’s Patronus was a doe,” said Harry, “the same as my mother’s, because he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time when they were children. You should have realized,” he said as he saw Voldemort’s nostrils flare, “he asked you to spare her life, didn’t he?”

“He desired her, that was all,” sneered Voldemort, “but when she had gone, he agreed that there were other women, and of purer blood, worthier of him ---“

“Of course he told you that,” said Harry, “but he was Dumbledore’s spy from the moment you threatened her, and he’s been working against you ever since! Dumbledore was already dying when Snape finished him!”

So in my opinion, Harry believes that Snape's love wasn't any different than any other true love in the books, and that his motivation was a good one. He is looking at the big picture there - the same Snape that loved Lily also stood up to Voldemort.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; April 29th, 2009 at 6:56 am.
Sponsored Links