View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2009, 6:06 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
In terms of the book and not even thinking about love in the real world or love from any other characters, Harry and Dumbledore seem to accept that Snape's love was his only motivation for doing what he did. It's one of those things that Voldemort didn't understand - the "power he knows not" and the "flaw in the plan." So, in my opinion, and in terms just of the way things are stated at the end of Deathly Hallows, if Snape had felt something besides real love for Lily that whole speech from Harry would lose alot of it's punch and strength, imo. Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.

I think Dumbledore meant the love being studied in the Dept. of Mysteries, the kind that makes the world go around was the love that Snape had; something that made him change from inside.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links