View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
I disagree that a writer has to make all the other characters "tools" for the hero. That may be so in plot-driven stories and to a degree HP is plot driven but I wouldn't say that it was plot driven to the extent that the other characters are merely tools for Harry. Snape is a particularly well-rounded character and IMO is very far from being Harry's tool. Snape behaves in a way that is true to the character Jo Rowling created not in a way that suits the plot or the hero. I would even go so far as to say that Snape is probably the most rounded character after Harry, which is probably why so many people want to discuss him.
Well I don't know what you mean by tool. I mean that all of the characters, were created for Harry's story, imo. The fact that Snape continued to hate Harry, according to JKR, is about Snape's feelings about Harry. And confirmation of that fact affirmed that Harry's subsequent forgiveness of Snape was very grandiose, imo. That is all I meant. Otherwise it would not be important what Snape thought of Harry...I mean, what did Moody think of Harry? Who knows - it wouldn't matter to Harry's story so it was not revealed and no one asks....

Quote:
I also don't understand what you mean by a "more sympathetic Snape". I happen to beleive that Snape did come to care for Harry subconsciously. That does not make him a more sympathetic character nor does it change his behaviour to Harry throughout the series.
I am not sure what you are referring to. In any case, I would disagree that Snape came to care for Harry, subconsciously or otherwise, so we'd just have to agree to disagree on that. I mean I don't think Draco even came to consider Harry in those terms, and he was at least civil to Harry, something Snape never was throughout the series, imo. So I feel JKR's contention was backed up by the canon.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; April 28th, 2009 at 8:05 pm.
Sponsored Links