View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2009, 5:21 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwb
But to cop her a break, every character was a tool for Harry in the end - so while it may have added more complexity for Snape's character for some, it would have taken away from Harry's. Since he was the point of the series, everyone else's feelings, etc., had to bow to Harry's character creation, imo.
I disagree that a writer has to make all the other characters "tools" for the hero. That may be so in plot-driven stories and to a degree HP is plot driven but I wouldn't say that it was plot driven to the extent that the other characters are merely tools for Harry. Snape is a particularly well-rounded character and IMO is very far from being Harry's tool. Snape behaves in a way that is true to the character Jo Rowling created not in a way that suits the plot or the hero. I would even go so far as to say that Snape is probably the most rounded character after Harry, which is probably why so many people want to discuss him.

I also don't understand what you mean by a "more sympathetic Snape". I happen to beleive that Snape did come to care for Harry subconsciously. That does not make him a more sympathetic character nor does it change his behaviour to Harry throughout the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP
Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.
Well said!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!

Last edited by CathyWeasley; April 28th, 2009 at 5:25 pm.
Sponsored Links