View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
His ability to love was pretty much confined to one person, and IMO I'm not sure "love" is what I'd call what he felt for her.
In terms of the book and not even thinking about love in the real world or love from any other characters, Harry and Dumbledore seem to accept that Snape's love was his only motivation for doing what he did. It's one of those things that Voldemort didn't understand - the "power he knows not" and the "flaw in the plan." So, in my opinion, and in terms just of the way things are stated at the end of Deathly Hallows, if Snape had felt something besides real love for Lily that whole speech from Harry would lose alot of it's punch and strength, imo. Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Sponsored Links