View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2009, 3:47 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Yes, with most of it, I do, but not all of it. I think statements like "he loathed Harry until his dying breath" may simplify the character. I don't think loathing precludes care, but this statement ahs made many fans disregard the intriguing possibility that Severus cared about Harry, genuinely, and that would be such a rich addition to his complexity.
But to cop her a break, every character was a tool for Harry in the end - so while it may have added more complexity for Snape's character for some, it would have taken away from Harry's. Since he was the point of the series, everyone else's feelings, etc., had to bow to Harry's character creation, imo.

In a way, I don't really see it as a factor adding complexity as much as leaving it a mystery would just avail of a different way of looking at things. But one is still left with interesting questions raised by a character who would hate Harry unfairly to his death. A lot of talk has been achieved relative to emotional and mental reasons. But an interesting aspect might be to look at it from a physical aspect. Meaning actions and behavior rather than words and feelings. With Snape, one can do that with respect to his relationship with many other characters from an analysis standpoint.

For example, Snape going to #12 and his interaction with Sirius alone there. Snape walked in with a 'lord of the manor' demeanor and carried on with arrogance and his behavior demeaning - not his words, mind, but his physical behavior as described. Switch to Dark Lord Arising and you have Snape sitting at the DE table with a similar arrogant stance, his behavior again described as demaning, imo. But in the latter case, one is aware that he is playing it careful due to his role as a spy; in the former is he playing it cool to pretend he is? Or is that his normal physical self-image being reflected?