View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2008, 2:24 am
Second Year

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I agree, but from Lily's viewpoint this issue went much deeper because it wasn't just Snape - others were calling her Mudblood too. The thing is, while her friends and even acquaintances would tell her that it didn't matter and that those with a blood purist attitude were wrong, she'd still feel bad. Constantly being called a racial slur or hearing others of your birth called one can make a person very hurt and a little bitter. And the situation has another aspect as well. I had a friend who was called a racial slur and what made me angry was how it made my friend feel in addition to being angry at the person who said it. Being the person I was back then, I immediately punched the guy who said it in the nose and started a brawl - very wrong I know - but my point is, afterward, my friend was not only upset at having been called a racial slur, but also because he hadn't wanted a brawl to start as a result of it. He hated that it made us (his friends) upset as well, so I didn't repeat that behavior, but he still knew that it was making us as upset as it was him.

So Snape using the slur was not just horrible to Lily because he was saying it about her; as she pointed out, she was upset because he said it to others as well because they all felt just like her when he said it. Additionally, all the people who tried to make her feel better after she was called one (by Snape and others) and defended her like Harry and Ron did for Hermione, well I'd imagine she'd feel bad that they had to be involved also - and to make matters worse; Snape and his friends called the purebloods among those people Blood Traitors, just for holding Lily and other muggleborns as equals.
I do agree that the reason Lily was so angry with Snape was partially because she didn't like how he was using a racial slur against other people as well, and then using it at her just made it even worse. I personally think that one of the biggest reasons, besides him calling her something like that, is that I think Lily put most of her trust in Snape, because he was one of her best friends, and it was kind of like he didn't think about what he was doing, and threw away her trust in him that he really was a good person and would never hurt her. I think that Lily trusted Snape on a very high authority, and having a best friends call you something like that wasn't friendship in Lily's book.
As for Snape, I think that he didn't mean to call her something like that so insultingly. I think that his friends (if you can call them that- Death Eaters) had a bad influence on him, and that the word was so common for them in their everyday language that I don't think he realized what an impact it would have on Lily's and his friendship. I'm not trying to justify what he did, or say that he wasn't wrong in doing so, but I do think that it wasn't entirely his fault, even though he shouldn't have been hanging around with that kind of crowd. I think those were probably the only people he could find around him that would accept him in any way besides what Lily did for him, that he took the chance by being around them, and ended up making one of the not so great decisions in his life.

Thanks for the amazing signature Lisa_Turpin!
Sponsored Links