View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2008, 3:04 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I think Lily did have a deep attraction which I do think was love;
I would query it was love at the age of 15. She seems to have fancied James, but that's not love. Later on, of course, it did become love.

Quote:
I think kittling made an excellent point about threats on both sides and I agree with her. Because I think Lily would not have been able to give up James and I don't think Snape would have agreed to that and they would have split anyway (assuming Snape turned away from Avery and Co). If Snape was with Avery and Co then Lily would have broken off with him IMO.
Yes, the James factor would have split the Lily/Sev friendship up eventually. That's undeniable. But I cannot agree that Lily broke off with Severus primarily because she fancied James. That is not what canon shows us, IMO. If that were true, Lily would be a very shallow person indeed and I don't think she is written that way.

Quote:
I think Lily was in love with James and she used the SWM and her possibly growing concerns to break off with Snape telling him that she knew he would surely become a DE (not the exact words) IMO.
Her concerns about Sev's DE interests and anti-Muggle feelings were not possibly growing concerns: they were real and genuine concerns, in my opinion, and I think that's how Rowling writes them.