View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

I couldn't choose just one. Snape changes quite a bit over the series. As do his feelings about James, Lily, Harry, Dumbledore, etc. I would consider his feelings about James at most points negative, but still an amalgam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
This time a quotation from CoS:    

Goyle's potion exploded, showering the whole class. People shrieked as splashes of the Swelling Solution hit them. Malfoy got a faceful and his nose began to swell like a balloon; Goyle blundered around, his hands over his eyes, which had expanded to the size of a dinner plate - Snape was trying to restore calm and find out what had happened. Through the confusion, Harry saw Hermione slip quietly into Snape's office.

"Silence! SILENCE!" Snape roared. "Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draft - when I find out who did this -"

Harry tried not to laugh as he watched Malfoy hurry forward, his head drooping with the weight of a nose like a small melon. As half the class lumbered up to Snape's desk, some weighted down with arms like clubs, others unable to talk through gigantic puffedup lips, Harry saw Hermione slide back into the dungeon, the front of her robes bulging.

When everyone had taken a swig of antidote and the various swellings had subsided, Snape swept over to Goyle's cauldron and scooped out the twisted black remains of the firework. There was a sudden hush.

"If I ever find out who threw this," Snape whispered, "I shall make sure that person is expelled."

Harry arranged his face into what he hoped was a puzzled expression. Snape was looking right at him, and the bell that rang ten minutes later could not have been more welcome.

"He knew it was me," Harry told Ron and Hermione as they hurried back to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. "I could tell."

Hermione threw the new ingredients into the cauldron and began to stir feverishly.

"It'll be ready in two weeks," she said happily.

"Snape can't prove it was you," said Ron reassuringly to Harry. "What can he do?"

"Knowing Snape, something foul," said Harry as the potion frothed and bubbled.

Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?

Not really. The revelations of DH, IMO, have little to do with the scene.

Was Snape's reaction possibly influenced by his feud with James Potter?

I don't think so. Harry is a 12-year-old trying not to look guilty. Naturally, he'd fail, and naturally Snape (who has been a teacher for about 11 years) would pick up on this and try to scare him. He'd probably do that to any of the Gryffindors to frighten them into never doing it again. Scare tactics seem to be a common approach for him.

When it comes to James, I think it wasn't so much Snape's reaction that was influenced by James, but that the event later caused Snape to consider Harry yet more James-like. After all, blowing up potions would seem to him a very Marauder-ish prank.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; May 8th, 2008 at 2:49 pm.
Sponsored Links