View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2008, 3:15 am
Fourth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

I voted hatred. It is obvious that Snape was jealous of James when it came to Lily, but I think Snape's feelings for James even went beyond that. As JK Rowling said, James had everything Snape didn't. I can just imagine Snape fuming at the fact that James was "the golden boy" that all the students and teachers loved, and everyone thought James was so wonderful, and Snape was just this freak that no one cared about unless to torment him. To see someone shine so brightly while you are just barely seen can make anyone bitter and that bitterness just turns to hate. When you are so miserable, you just start to hate people who are so happy. And then you start to hate everyone. Everytime you see that person happy, you want to break their face because they're happy and you are miserable and you hate them for that and you hate them even more because they are the person that made you miserable in the first place.

I don't think Snape was envious of James, especially at Quidditch. When you hate someone so much, you start to hate everything that person likes or is associated with. Maybe Snape was a little envious of James' Quidditch talent at first, but as his hatred for James deepened, his hate spread to Quidditch, and he wasn't envious anymore because he had no like of Quidditch due to James' association with it.
This is all my opinion, of course.

What's with the loathing, contempt, and hatred options? I thought they all meant the same thing.

Last edited by PerfectDystopia; May 8th, 2008 at 3:19 am.
Sponsored Links