View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:19 am
Eldest Gruff

Re: Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I think Dumbledore functioned as a mentor to Snape. I don't think it was as close as father and son. Otherwise, Dumbledore might have had more influence in how Snape treated Harry.
I agree on this. The snippets we got from Snape's memory about their interaction seem to show that on the one hand Dumbledore didn't approve on all actions Snape did (beginning with asking for Lily's life only), on the other hand Snape did not fully agree on what some have called the manipulating parts of Dumbledore still when he agreed on killing him and let Harry die as well. (Its another discussion if Dumbledore really ever wanted Harry to die though).

When two people share such a huge secret (from Snape's never ending passion to Lily to their both knowledge on Snape being a spy over more than a decade), they have to become close and important to each other. They have to respect what the other does to a certain amount I think. But I also believe Snape's and Dumbeldore's relation showed that this still can be a rather professional relation. I think we see Snape showing Dumbledore great respect in many scenes, but I also miss - in order to be able to call their relation father/son-like - Snape accepting perhaps the most important lesson Dumbeldore learned himself as young man and lived after it ever then... showing similar respect to everyone as long as they did not prove themselves actually doing things which only prejudices contained before.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links