View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2015, 5:08 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
He verbally implored Snape to kill him even though everyone else thought he was begging for mercy. It's certainly possible that Snape used Occlumency, but I really don't see the point of it. He knew everything he needed to know. I guess it's an Occam's razor kind of situation, to me. Why make up other explanations/theories if the one we have on page already explains everything?
While the overall decision that at some point, Snape would kill Dumbledore had been made by both parties - I do think the OP has a point. I do not believe that Dumbledore and Snape chose that moment, because I believe Draco's success in bringing Death Eaters into the school was not expected by either of them.

We also know that Snape was always reluctant to kill Dumbledore. He had to be talked into it by Dumbledore initially. And even after he made an Unbreakable Vow to do it, he months later had a conversation in which he expressed that he still had reservations about doing it. In that very same conversation, we learn Snape is aware that Dumbledore is working with Harry on something, something very important that Harry will need to do.

The question Snape could very reasonably be asking himself on the Tower, based on what we know, is "is this truly the right time for Dumbledore to die, or does he need to finish this something so important he refuses to tell me what it is, first?" "Severus, please" is an ambiguous answer to that question.

We could also suppose that from long familiarity with Dumbledore he felt certain enough to make a guess. But I see in the description of his actions, the suggestion that he is looking to Dumbledore for direction, there. In the magical world of the series, considering the specific talents of both characters, supposing magical communication of some sort passed between them in this moment is not a big leap.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; September 19th, 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Sponsored Links