View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2011, 9:16 am
Sixth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

1. Do you believe that Snape's soul was still intact after he had killed Dumbledore?

I think so. He, unlike Draco, knew what he was doing when he killed Dumbledore.

2. To what extent, do you think, are Snape's parents to blame for his later choices and to what extent are they his own responsibility?
He had a difficult childhood. That moulded his view of the world, and made him cynical, sarcastic, and unable to trust people easily. And based on his experiences, he made choices which he would later regret.

3. Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
He wouldn't have moved on. Snape has shown, in many instances, that he's a one-woman man. I think he'd pine for her for the rest of his life. She was the very first friend he knew, and his childhood sweetheart. I doubt he would stop loving her, unless someone else comes along, which is quite improbable. I bet even if he did marry someone else, Lily Evans would always have a place in his heart, as all first loves do.

4. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius?
It just shows that we're all made up of different shades of grey. True, Snape may have acted out of love, but he loved only Lily. He detested the Marauders, especially James and Sirius. As for Dumbledore's "murder", the death was planned between them. Snape wanted to fulfill the last wish of his mentor and guide, the man who held both his respect and frustration. I would hardly blame Snape for his frustration with Dumbledore though. I bet anyone who were as close to Dumbledore as Snape (and Harry) were would be quite frustrated by him. Dumbledore is in a league of his own. He has no equal, except maybe Grindlewald.

5. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?
I would expect someone who was bullied in his childhood to show more empathy towards people in a similar situation as him. This is a part of Snape that I really detest. Snape knows that Neville was bullied by the Slytherins. He knows that Neville is doing poorly in most of his classes, save Herbology. At least Harry is doing well in most of his classes, and isn't afraid to stand up to Snape. Neville is a different story. He's timid and lacks confidence. Snape should have quit bullying him so much.

6.Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?Probably, if not he wouldn't have showed the memories to Harry.

7. What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?Dumbledore was a mentor to Snape.

8. Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
Well, she modelled him after a Chemistry teacher she particularly hated. But yes, I do agree with her view of him. He's a flawed hero. Definitely not a saint.

9. Which elements do you think make Snape the most controversial character of the series?
He's a complex character. He is torn between his love for Lily and his hatred of James. And honestly, Harry is his worst nightmare, after Voldemort. Harry is the representation of the love between Snape's childhood sweetheart and his worst enemy. That's why he hates Harry so much. But to truly hate Harry is to envision James in Harry and not Lily, because to hate Lily, the love of his life, is something impossible. So he focuses on the likeness of James and Harry, while ignoring the Lily part of Harry. Then, he can hate Harry and James in peace. That shows in the Prince's Tale, where he tore the family photo of James, Lily and baby Harry. He kept the half showing Lily, while tossing away James and Harry's half.

Then come the ultimatum issued by Dumbledore: protect Lily's son. Snape agrees, but only when Dumbledore agrees not to reveal anything. He does everything he can to protect Lily Evan's son, even though he hates him.

10. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?
Resourcefulness, and an ability to love deeply.

11. If you had to summarize Snape's character to someone who had never read the books what would you tell them?
Flawed hero.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; February 17th, 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Sponsored Links