View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2008, 8:12 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Than I am sorry I misunderstood your comment wicked! I was searching in my memory, just where I had implied or said anything that could be construed this way.
No worries.

Quote:
I think Lily did not see the dark arts as an evil thing; she saw its practise as evil and she throughly disliked Snape's friendship with Avery and Mulciber. That is the only thing we see in canon and she says she is sure that Snape will be a DE. We don't read anything about her aversion to reading the dark arts (not to its practise, please note).
I respect your view, but based on my interpretation of canon, Lily despised the dark arts.

Quote:
That Snape was planning to join Voldemort was very much in the future. Even Lily says so; she says that Snape can't wait to leave school before joining Voldemort, but where does she say that Snape was practising the dark arts and that she had been fighting with him because of that?
I am afraid that is a misquotation of the canon. Lily does not say Snape can't "wait to leave school" to join, she says "he can't wait to join" as in the present (DH TPT). It was my opinion that if she felt he could not wait to join, then she had a basis for that belief - in my judgment that was Snape's actions and behavior, his viewpoint and outlook as she knew it from being his friend.

Quote:
Who could have told her? Dumbledore, Sirius, Remus, Peter, James and Snape were the only ones who knew about it, and they were forbidden to talk about it.

Snape, never told her, because Snape tries to speak about the incident in the memory which happened sometime later than the incident itself. So it had to be Dumbledore or one of the Marauders IMO.
I respect your view, but in my opinion, that is a huge assumption. Snape may have told Mulciber and he told another Slytherin who told a Ravenclaw, who told a Gryffindor, who told Lily. James may have told Peter who let it slip to others and eventually Lily heard. All of that is as plausible as the guess you have made in my judgment - and there are 100's of other scenarios. I don't think we can make a definitive determination as to how Lily found out; rumors spread, that is normal in a school setting. It doesn't make sense for any of the Marauders to have spoken about it; they did not want to have people speculating on what was in the tunnel - it could expose their friend and more importantly, expose what their moonlight wanderings in the evenings were all about.